on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Harlow family come from? What is the English Harlow family crest and coat of arms? When did the Harlow family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Harlow family history?The ancestors of the name Harlow date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence in the parish of Harlow in the county of Essex.
Harlow has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Harlow, Harlowe and others.
First found in Essex where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harlow research. Another 231 words (16 lines of text) covering the year 1273 is included under the topic Early Harlow History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Harlow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Harlows to arrive on North American shores:
Harlow Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Harlow, who arrived in Virginia in 1619, before the "Mayflower"
- John Harlow, who landed in Virginia in 1619
- Anthony Harlow settled in Virginia in 1623
- Anthony Harlow, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1624
- Stephen Harlow, who landed in Virginia in 1642
Harlow Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Harlow settled in Maryland in 1722
Harlow Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John P Harlow, who landed in Arkansas in 1869
Harlow Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ernest James Alfred Harlow, who arrived in California in 1902
Harlow Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Robert Harlow, who arrived in Canada in 1831
Harlow Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Harlow, aged 21, a bricklayer, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Sir Edward Parry"
- John Harlow arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Sir Edward Parry" in 1849
- George Harlow arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Pestonjee Bomanjee" in 1851
- Mary Harlow, American jurist, magistrate for the Superior Court, Family Division in Chittenden and Orange Counties, Vermont
- Joel Harlow, American Academy Award winning makeup artist, known for his work on the Pirates of the Caribbean movies
- Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Donald L. Harlow (1920-1997), American second Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force
- Bob Harlow (1899-1954), American golfer, founder of Golf World magazine in 1947, inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1988
- Richard Cresson "Dick" Harlow (1889-1962), American football player and coach, inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame (1954)
- Larry Harlow (b. 1939), American salsa music performer, composer and producer, recipient of the Latin Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (2008)
- Larry Duane Harlow (b. 1951), retired American Major League Baseball outfielder
- Francis Harvey Harlow, American theoretical physicist known for his work in the field of fluid dynamics
- A. J. Harlow, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1864
- Bradford Harlow (1785-1868), American politician, Mayor of Bangor, Maine, 1841-43
- The Cummington Harlows: Line of Ancestry from Sergeant William Harlow of Plymouth and Descendants of Matthew Harlow (1775-1847) of Sixth Generation by Cummington Harlows Association.
- Richard Penhallow (also Harlow): His Life and Descendants by Aileen Smock Delong.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
The Harlow Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Harlow Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 October 2015 at 14:35.
on orders of $85 or more