100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The ancestors of the name Harlow date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence in the parish of Harlow in the county of Essex.
The surname Harlow was first found in Essex
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Harlow has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Harlow, Harlowe and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harlow research. Another 231 words (16 lines of text) covering the year 1273 is included under the topic Early Harlow History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Harlow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England
, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Harlows to arrive on North American shores:
Harlow Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Harlow, who arrived in Virginia in 1619, before the "Mayflower"
- John Harlow, who landed in Virginia in 1619
- Anthony Harlow settled in Virginia in 1623
- Anthony Harlow, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1624
- Stephen Harlow, who landed in Virginia in 1642
Harlow Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Harlow settled in Maryland in 1722
Harlow Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John P Harlow, who landed in Arkansas in 1869
Harlow Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ernest James Alfred Harlow, who arrived in California in 1902
Harlow Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Robert Harlow, who arrived in Canada in 1831
Harlow Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Harlow, aged 21, a bricklayer, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Sir Edward Parry"
- John Harlow arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Sir Edward Parry" in 1849
- George Harlow arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Pestonjee Bomanjee" in 1851
- William McGrath Harlow, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Ottawa, 1932-38
- William Harlow, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1972
- William A. Harlow, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1944, 1948
- W. M. Harlow (b. 1934), American Republican politician, Member of Missouri State House of Representatives, 1958-67
- Samuel Ralph Harlow (1885-1972), American politician, Congregationalist minister; college professor; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Massachusetts 2nd District, 1932, 1934, 1936
- Roger M. Harlow (1924-1989), American politician, Mayor of Indio, California
- Leslie Harlow, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Maine, 2004
- John B. Harlow, American Republican politician, Postmaster at St. Louis, Missouri, 1890-94
- Isaac Harlow, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Washington County, 1804-05
- Hiram Harlow, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Vermont, 1884
- The Cummington Harlows: Line of Ancestry from Sergeant William Harlow of Plymouth and Descendants of Matthew Harlow (1775-1847) of Sixth Generation by Cummington Harlows Association.
- Richard Penhallow (also Harlow): His Life and Descendants by Aileen Smock Delong.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Harlow Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Harlow Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 October 2015 at 14:35.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!