100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Danish, English, German, Irish, Norwegian, Russian
Hanson is an ancient Anglo-Saxon name that is derived from the baptismal name for the son of Hans. As the naming tradition grew in Europe baptismal names began to be introduced in many countries. Baptismal names were sometimes given in honor of Christian saints and other biblical figures. There are very few Christian countries in Europe that did not adopt surnames from these religious figures.
The surname Hanson was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Hanson has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Hanson, Hansom and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hanson research. Another 300 words (21 lines of text) covering the year 1675 is included under the topic Early Hanson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hanson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Hansons to arrive on North American shores:
Hanson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Wybra Hanson, who landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1633
- Jo Hanson, aged 27, landed in St Christopher in 1635
- Tho Hanson, who arrived in Virginia in 1656
- Andrew Hanson, who landed in Maryland in 1658
- Anibeck Hanson, who arrived in Maryland in 1658
Hanson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Godfried Hanson, who landed in New York in 1715
- William Hanson, who arrived in New York in 1789
Hanson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jonathan Hanson, who landed in New York, NY in 1837
- Ole H Hanson, who arrived in illinois in 1839
- Thomas Hanson, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Joseph Hanson, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1842
- Robert Hanson, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1844
Hanson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Maria Hanson, who arrived in Colorado in 1907
- Hans Peder Hanson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1909
- John Oscar Hanson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1912
- Ed Hanson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1912
- Tom Hanson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1914
Hanson Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Hanson, aged 30, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "William" from Kinsale
Hanson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Hanson, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Eliza Hanson arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838
- Sarah Hanson arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838
- William Hanson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- Theodore Hanson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Royal Admiral" in 1838
Hanson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- R.D. Hanson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cuba" in 1840
- Richard Hanson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Claramont" in 1863
- Jane Hanson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Johanna Hanson, aged 54, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- Ann Hanson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "British King" in 1883
- George Charles Hanson (1883-1935), American politician, U.S. Consul General in Harbin, 1931-32; Moscow, 1935; Salonika, 1935
- Thomas J. "Tommy" Hanson Jr. (1986-2015), American Major League Baseball starting pitcher for the Atlanta Braves and Los Angeles Angels from 2009 to 2013
- Joseph R. Hanson (1837-1917), American Republican politician, Member of Dakota Territorial House of Representatives, 1864-65; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Dakota Territory Territory, 1868
- Mrs. Mary Hanson (d. 1915), American 2nd Class passenger from Central Falls, Rhode Island, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking and was recovered
- Mr. Samuel Hanson (d. 1915), American 2nd Class passenger from Central Falls, Rhode Island, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking and was recovered
- Ole Hanson (1874-1940), American politician, Member of Washington State House of Representatives, 1908-09; Candidate for U.S. Senator from Washington, 1914; Mayor of Seattle, Washington, 1918-19; Resigned 1919
- Palmer E. Hanson, American Republican politician, Independent Republican Candidate for Wisconsin State Senate 8th District, 1940
- Pauline I. Hanson, American Republican politician, Member of New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Gilsum; Elected 1938
- Percy K. Hanson, American politician, Mayor of Gardiner, Maine, 1953
- Peter B. Hanson, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1940, 1944
- Hans Hanson of Red Lyon Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware by Baldwin Springer Maull.
- Hanson Relatives: Ancestors and Descendants of Love, Susan, Nahum, and Charles Hanson, and Ancestors of Some of the Spouses of Hanson Descendants by Charlotte A. Nicely.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Hanson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hanson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 March 2016 at 18:20.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!