on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Danish, English, German, Irish, Norwegian, Russian
Where did the English Hanson family come from? What is the English Hanson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hanson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hanson family history?Hanson is an ancient Anglo-Saxon name that is derived from the baptismal name for the son of Hans. As the naming tradition grew in Europe baptismal names began to be introduced in many countries. Baptismal names were sometimes given in honor of Christian saints and other biblical figures. There are very few Christian countries in Europe that did not adopt surnames from these religious figures.
Hanson has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Hanson, Hansom and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hanson research. Another 300 words(21 lines of text) covering the year 1675 is included under the topic Early Hanson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hanson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Hansons to arrive on North American shores:
Hanson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Wybra Hanson, who landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1633
- Jo Hanson, aged 27, landed in St Christopher in 1635
- Tho Hanson, who arrived in Virginia in 1656
- Andrew Hanson, who landed in Maryland in 1658
- Anibeck Hanson, who arrived in Maryland in 1658
Hanson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Godfried Hanson, who landed in New York in 1715
- William Hanson, who arrived in New York in 1789
Hanson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jonathan Hanson, who landed in New York, NY in 1837
- Ole H Hanson, who arrived in illinois in 1839
- Thomas Hanson, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Joseph Hanson, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1842
- Robert Hanson, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1844
Hanson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Maria Hanson, who arrived in Colorado in 1907
- Hans Peder Hanson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1909
- John Oscar Hanson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1912
- Ed Hanson, who arrived in Wisconsin in 1912
- Tom Hanson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1914
Hanson Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Hanson, aged 30, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "William" from Kinsale
Hanson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Hanson, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Eliza Hanson arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838
- Sarah Hanson arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838
- William Hanson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- Theodore Hanson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Royal Admiral" in 1838
Hanson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- R.D. Hanson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cuba" in 1840
- Richard Hanson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Claramont" in 1863
- Jane Hanson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Johanna Hanson, aged 54, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- Ann Hanson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "British King" in 1883
- Duane Hanson (1925-1996), American sculptor
- Howard Harold Hanson (1896-1981), American composer, conductor, educator, and music theorist
- Curtis Lee Hanson (b. 1945), American filmmaker
- Mr. Samuel Hanson (d. 1915), American 2nd Class passenger from Central Falls, Rhode Island, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking and was recovered
- Mrs. Mary Hanson (d. 1915), American 2nd Class passenger from Central Falls, Rhode Island, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking and was recovered
- Raymond Charles Hanson (1913-1976), Australian composer and lecturer
- First Lieutenant Robert Murray Hanson (1920-1944), American Marine Corps aviator awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1943
- Brooke Louise Hanson (b. 1978), Australian swimmer and Olympic gold medal winner
- Hans Hanson of Red Lyon Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware by Baldwin Springer Maull.
- Hanson Relatives: Ancestors and Descendants of Love, Susan, Nahum, and Charles Hanson, and Ancestors of Some of the Spouses of Hanson Descendants by Charlotte A. Nicely.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Hanson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hanson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 May 2015 at 13:39.
on orders of $85 or more