Hannagan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Irish name Hannagan originally appeared in Gaelic as "O hEanain," but sometimes is an abbreviated form of the surname Henagahn.
Early Origins of the Hannagan family
The surname Hannagan was first found in County Tipperary (Irish: Thiobraid Árann), established in the 13th century in South-central Ireland, in the province of Munster, and Offaly where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Hannagan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hannagan research. Another 117 words (8 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early Hannagan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hannagan Spelling Variations
Those scribes in Ireland during the Middle Ages recorded names as they sounded. Consequently, in this era many people were recorded under different spellings each time their name was written down. Research on the Hannagan family name revealed numerous spelling variations, including Heenan, Henaghan, Henehan, Heenon, Hanegan, Hannegan, Hanigan, Hannigan, Haneghan and many more.
Early Notables of the Hannagan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hannagan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hannagan migration to the United States +
A massive amount of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century for North America and Australia in hopes of finding more opportunities and an escape from discrimination and oppression. A great portion of these migrants arrived on the eastern shores of the North American continent. Although they were generally poor and destitute, and, therefore, again discriminated against, these Irish people were heartily welcomed for the hard labor involved in the construction of railroads, canals, roadways, and buildings. Many others were put to work in the newly established factories or agricultural projects that were so essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest nations in the world. The Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s initiated the largest wave of Iris immigration. Early North American immigration and passenger lists have revealed a number of people bearing the name Hannagan or a variant listed above:
Hannagan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hugh Hannagan, who arrived in blew York, NY in 1817 
- Patrick Hannagan, who landed in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1848 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hannagan (post 1700) +
- Jacob Hannagan, American actor, known for Freaky (2003) and The Insiders Guide to Happiness (2004)
- Tony Hannagan, American producer, writer and actor
- Giles Hannagan, American animatronic designer, known for 2018Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Solo: A Star Wars Story and Star Wars: Episode VIII-The Last Jedi
- John Emmett "Jack" Hannagan (1885-1977), Australian rules footballer who played with St Kilda in the Victorian Football League in 1905
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)