The Irish name Hanigan originally appeared in Gaelic as "O hEanain," but sometimes is an abbreviated form of the surname Henagahn.
Early Origins of the Hanigan family
The surname Hanigan was first found in County Tipperary
(Irish: Thiobraid Árann), established in the 13th century in South-central Ireland
, in the province of Munster
, and Offaly
where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Hanigan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hanigan research.Another 251 words (18 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early Hanigan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hanigan Spelling Variations
A name was often recorded during the Middle Ages under several different spelling variations
during the life of its bearer because literacy was rare there was no real push to clearly define any of the languages found in the British Isles at that time. Variations found of the name Hanigan include Heenan, Henaghan, Henehan, Heenon, Hanegan, Hannegan, Hanigan, Hannigan, Haneghan and many more.
Early Notables of the Hanigan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hanigan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hanigan family to the New World and Oceana
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine
during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name Hanigan:
Hanigan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel, Dennis, James, and William Hanigan, all, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1854 and 1875
Hanigan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Hanigan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1829
- Catherine Downy Hanigan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1839
- Catherine Downy Hanigan, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1840
- Mary Hanigan, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1841
- William Hanigan, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1841
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Hanigan (post 1700)
- George W. Hanigan, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arizona, 1956, 1960, 1964 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html