on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The ancestors of the name Hallett date back to the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Hallett family lived in the county of Kent
where they were known as the dwellers at the hall or manor.
The surname Hallett was first found in Kent
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Hallett are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Hallett include: Hallett, Hallet, Hollett, Hollet, Hollitt and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hallett research. Another 245 words (18 lines of text) covering the year 1690 is included under the topic Early Hallett History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
More information is included under the topic Early Hallett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North Ameri ca.
Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Hallett or a variant listed above:
Hallett Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Hallett settled in Long Island in 1620
- William Hallett settled in Long Island in 1630
- Andrew Hallett, aged 28, landed in New England in 1635
- Andrew Hallett settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1635
- Andrew Hallett landed in Massachusetts in 1635
Hallett Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Chr Hallett, who arrived in Virginia in 1715
Hallett Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph George Hallett, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1845-1846
- Isaiah Hallett, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Edward Hallett, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- H Hallett, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Francis Hallett, aged 52, landed in New York in 1862
Hallett Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Robert Hallett U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
Hallett Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Tom Hallett, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1907
Hallett Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Hallett arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1836
- Maria Hallett arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1836
- Richard Hallett arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1836
- Henry Hallett arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1836
- Alfred Hallett arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1838
Hallett Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Hallett, aged 25, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Clifton" in 1842
- Elizabeth Hallett, aged 29, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Clifton" in 1842
- Sarah Ann Hallett, aged 4, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Clifton" in 1842
- Mary Jane Hallett, aged 2, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Clifton" in 1842
- E. M. Hallett arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Siam" in 1865
- Samuel Hallett (1827-1864), American railroad developer, known for the initial development of the eastern branch of the Union Pacific Railroad
- Stanley James Hallett (1930-1998), American urban planner
- Mal Hallett (1893-1952), American jazz violinist and bandleader
- Jack Price Hallett (1914-1982), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Andrew Alcott "Andy" Hallett (1975-2009), American singer and actor, playing the part of Lorne in the television series Angel
- Colonel George Eustace Amyot Hallett (1890-1982), English pioneer aviator
- John Hallett, English midshipman on the Bounty, he was only 15 when the mutineers forced him to accompany Captain William Bligh on his open boat voyage in April 1789
- Vice Admiral Sir Theodore John Hallett KBE CB (1878-1956), English Royal Navy officer, Commander-in-Chief, Coast of Scotland (1929)
- Alfred W. Hallett (1914-1986), English artist
- Dame Heather Carol Hallett DBE (b. 1949), English judge of the Court of Appeal
- Mr. George Alexander Hallett (d. 1912), aged 22, English Fireman/Stoker from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Hallett Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hallett Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 March 2016 at 04:14.
on orders of $85 or more