100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Hallett family come from? What is the English Hallett family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hallett family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hallett family history?The ancestors of the name Hallett date back to the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Hallett family lived in the county of Kent where they were known as the dwellers at the hall or manor.
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Hallett are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Hallett include: Hallett, Hallet, Hollett, Hollet, Hollitt and many more.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hallett research. Another 245 words (18 lines of text) covering the year 1690 is included under the topic Early Hallett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hallett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Hallett or a variant listed above:
Hallett Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Hallett settled in Long Island in 1620
- William Hallett settled in Long Island in 1630
- Andrew Hallett, aged 28, landed in New England in 1635
- Andrew Hallett settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1635
- Andrew Hallett landed in Massachusetts in 1635
Hallett Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Chr Hallett, who arrived in Virginia in 1715
Hallett Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph George Hallett, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1845-1846
- Isaiah Hallett, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Edward Hallett, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- H Hallett, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Francis Hallett, aged 52, landed in New York in 1862
Hallett Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Robert Hallett U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
Hallett Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Tom Hallett, who arrived in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Hallett Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Hallett arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1836
- Maria Hallett arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1836
- Richard Hallett arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1836
- Henry Hallett arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1836
- Alfred Hallett arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Africaine" in 1838
Hallett Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Hallett, aged 25, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Clifton" in 1842
- Elizabeth Hallett, aged 29, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Clifton" in 1842
- Sarah Ann Hallett, aged 4, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Clifton" in 1842
- Mary Jane Hallett, aged 2, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Clifton" in 1842
- E. M. Hallett arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Siam" in 1865
- Samuel Hallett (1827-1864), American railroad developer, known for the initial development of the eastern branch of the Union Pacific Railroad
- Stanley James Hallett (1930-1998), American urban planner
- Mal Hallett (1893-1952), American jazz violinist and bandleader
- Jack Price Hallett (1914-1982), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Andrew Alcott "Andy" Hallett (1975-2009), American singer and actor, playing the part of Lorne in the television series Angel
- Mr. George Alexander Hallett (d. 1912), aged 22, English Fireman/Stoker from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Colonel George Eustace Amyot Hallett (1890-1982), English pioneer aviator
- John Hallett, English midshipman on the Bounty, he was only 15 when the mutineers forced him to accompany Captain William Bligh on his open boat voyage in April 1789
- Vice Admiral Sir Theodore John Hallett KBE CB (1878-1956), English Royal Navy officer, Commander-in- chief, Coast of Scotland (1929)
- Alfred W. Hallett (1914-1986), English artist
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Hallett Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hallett Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 April 2015 at 09:16.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!