Haigler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Haigler family name dates back to 1066 when the Norman Conquest of England introduced a plethora of new names and words into Britain. It comes from an early member of the family who was a person exhibiting characteristics associated with the eagle, such as a lordly or impressive nature, or sharp-eyed vision. The name may also be of toponymic origin and derive from either of two place-names Eagle, in Lincolnshire, or L'Aigle, in Normandy.
Early Origins of the Haigler family
The surname Haigler was first found in Lincolnshire where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Haigler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Haigler research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1129 and 1230 are included under the topic Early Haigler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Haigler Spelling Variations
A multitude of spelling variations characterize Norman surnames. Many variations occurred because Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England also had a pronounced effect, as did the court languages of Latin and French. Therefore, one person was often referred to by several different spellings in a single lifetime. The various spellings include Eagle, Eagles, Hegel, Hegell, Aigle, Eagel, Ligle and others.
Early Notables of the Haigler family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Haigler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Haigler family
Many English families left England, to avoid the chaos of their homeland and migrated to the many British colonies abroad. Although the conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and some travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute, once in the colonies, many of the families prospered and made valuable contributions to the cultures of what would become the United States and Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Haigler or a variant listed above: John Eagle who settled in Maryland in 1736; Edward Eagle, who settled in New England in 1763; George Eagle, who settled in Virginia in 1635; Katherine Eagle, who settled in Virginia in 1663.
Contemporary Notables of the name Haigler (post 1700) +
- Dee Dawkins- Haigler (b. 1970), American politician, Member of the Georgia House of Representatives from the 91st district (2009-2017)
- Steven Haigler, American gold and platinum record producer of alternative, grunge, hard core and popular music
- Ron Haigler, American former basketball player from Brooklyn, New York, Ivy League Player of the Year (1975), two-time Robert V. Geasey Trophy (1974, 1975)
- Christine "Christy" Haigler (b. 1948), American silver and bronze medalist figure skater in the 1960s, coach of Patrick Chan (2009-2012), Agnes Zawadzki (2011-2013) and more
- Kathy Haigler, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 2008, 2012 
Related Stories +