The lineage of the name Guyton begins with the Anglo-Saxon
tribes in Britain. It is a result of when they lived in the area of Cheshire
that was referred to as the hill of Gaega
, Gaega being an Anglo-Saxon personal name
. Guyton is a topographic
surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree.
Early Origins of the Guyton family
The surname Guyton was first found in Cheshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Guyton family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Guyton research.Another 179 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1273 and 1200 are included under the topic Early Guyton History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Guyton Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Guyton has undergone many spelling variations
, including Gayton, Gaydon, Gaytun, Gaton and others.
Early Notables of the Guyton family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Guyton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Guyton family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Guyton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Guyton, who landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Coromandel
- William Guyton, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Coromandel" in 1840
Contemporary Notables of the name Guyton (post 1700)
- Walter Guyton (1874-1974), noted American physicist and electrical engineer
- Joseph William Guyton (1889-1918), first American soldier killed on German-held soil during World War I
- Myron Mynard Guyton (b. 1967), former professional American football defensive back
- Gary Guyton (b. 1985), American football linebacker
- Arthur James Guyton (b. 1978), American former professional basketball player
- Tyree Guyton (b. 1955), American artist
- Boone Tarleton Guyton (1913-1996), American Naval Aviation Cadet, experimental test pilot, author and businessman
- Arthur Clifton Guyton (1919-2003), American physiologist
- Emma Jane Guyton (1825-1887), English novelist
- William Guyton (1816-1884), the second Mayor of Wellington, New Zealand
Suggested Readings for the name Guyton
- Guytons Galore: From French Huguenots to Oregon Pioneers by Helen Guyton Rees.