on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Griggs family come from? What is the Scottish Griggs family crest and coat of arms? When did the Griggs family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Griggs family history?In ancient Scotland, the ancestors of the Griggs family were part of a tribe called the Picts. The name Griggs is derived from a diminutive form of the personal name Gregory. The Gaelic form of the name was Griogair, which was borrowed from the Latin name Gregorius. This in turn came from the Greek name Gregorios, a derivative of the word gregorein, which means to be awake or to be watchful.
The appearance of the printing press and the first dictionaries in the last few hundred years did much to standardize spelling. Prior to that time scribes spelled according to sound, a practice that resulted in many spelling variations. Griggs has been spelled Gregg, Greig and others.
First found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Griggs research. Another 270 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1214, 1273, 1379, 1488, and 1502 are included under the topic Early Griggs History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Griggs Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Griggs family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 124 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The expense of the crossing to the North American colonies seemed small beside the difficulties of remaining in Scotland. It was a long and hard trip, but at its end lay the reward of freedom. Some Scots remained faithful to England and called themselves United Empire Loyalists, while others fought in the American War of Independence. Much of this lost Scottish heritage has been recovered in the last century through Clan societies and other patriotic Scottish organizations. A search of immigration and passenger lists revealed many important, early immigrants to North America bearing the name of Griggs:
Griggs Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Griggs, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1636
- Tho Griggs, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Thomas Griggs, who arrived in Roxbury, Massachusetts in 1639
- Xtopr Griggs, who landed in Virginia in 1650
- Robert Griggs, who landed in Virginia in 1653
Griggs Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Eliza Griggs, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- Thos Griggs, who landed in Virginia in 1714
Griggs Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Simon Griggs U.E. who settled in Shefford Township, Eastern Townships, Quebec c. 1784 an association of Capt. John Savage
Griggs Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Griggs, English convict from Sussex, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- John Griggs, aged 44, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Duke of Wellington"
- John Griggs, aged 44, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- Mary Griggs, aged 37, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- Mary J. Griggs, aged 14, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
Griggs Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Daniel Griggs, aged 22, a plumbers labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Golden Sea" in 1874
- Catherine Griggs, aged 21, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rangitikei" in 1884
- Stanley David Griggs (1939-1989), former NASA astronaut with over 6 days in space
- Andrew Tyler "Andy" Griggs (b. 1973), American country music artist
- William Middleton Griggs, American doctor considered a world authority on trauma and disaster medicine
- John William Griggs (1849-1927), American Republican Party politician, who served as the 29th Governor of New Jersey
- Alexander Griggs (1838-1903), American steamboat captain, founder of the city of Grand Forks, North Dakota and is often called "The Father of Grand Forks"
- Harold Lloyd Griggs (1928-2005), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Hohanna Leigh Griggs (b. 1973), former swimmer and current television presenter from Australia
- Nigel Griggs (b. 1949), British professional musician
- Vice Admiral Raymond James "Ray" Griggs (b. 1961), Royal Australian Navy officer, Chief of Navy since June 2011
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
The Griggs Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Griggs Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 April 2015 at 09:04.
on orders of $85 or more