The age-old Pictish-Scottish family name Goodbrand is derived from the Old Norse personal name Guthbrand.
Early Origins of the Goodbrand family
The surname Goodbrand was first found in Aberdeenshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland
, where they held a family seat
, some say, as early as the 12th century.
Early History of the Goodbrand family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goodbrand research.Another 188 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1715, 1716, 1721, and 1745 are included under the topic Early Goodbrand History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Goodbrand Spelling Variations
In the Middle ages, spelling and translation were not yet regulated by any general rules. spelling variations
in names were common even among members of one family unit. Goodbrand has appeared Goodbrand, Goodbrang, Goodbran, Goodbairn, Gweebran and many more.
Early Notables of the Goodbrand family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Goodbrand Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Goodbrand family to the New World and Oceana
Faced by this persecution and the generally unstable political climate of those days, many Scots chose to leave their homeland for Ireland
, and North America in search of greater opportunity and freedom. The colonies across the Atlantic were the most popular choice, but a passage there was neither cheap nor easily suffered. Passengers arrived sick and poor, but those who made it intact often found land and more tolerant societies in which to live. These brave settlers formed the backbone of the burgeoning nations of Canada and the United States. It is only this century that the ancestors of these families have begun to recover their collective identity through the patriotic highland games and Clan
societies that have sprung up throughout North America. Research into early immigration and passenger lists revealed many immigrants bearing the name Goodbrand:
Goodbrand Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Goodbrand, aged 5, who emigrated to the United States from Berwick, Scotland, in 1893
- Maggie Goodbrand, aged 7, who landed in America from Berwick, Scotland, in 1893
- Mary Jane Goodbrand, who emigrated to America from Berwick, Scotland, in 1893
- Mrs. Goodbrand, aged 44, who landed in America from Berwick, Scotland, in 1893
- Thomas Goodbrand, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States from Berwick, Scotland, in 1893
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Goodbrand Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George Goodbrand, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Leith, Scotland, in 1910
Contemporary Notables of the name Goodbrand (post 1700)
- Jaime Goodbrand, American movie cameraman and cinematographer
- Ali Goodbrand, British Treasurer of King's College London Rugby Football Club (2009-2010)
- Christine Goodbrand, British Head of Group Communications at Matthews Daniel, London, England