Gilpatrox History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Gilpatrox surname is derived from one of various place names in Scotland. These place names come from the Old Norse "kirkja" which became "kirk" and means "church." Several churches were dedicated to St. Patrick, and then the place names followed from the church names.
Early Origins of the Gilpatrox family
The surname Gilpatrox was first found in Dumfriesshire at Closeburn, a civil parish. The surname was derived from a chapel on a farm in the parish that was once dedicated to Saint Patrick. About 1 km east of Closeburn lies Closeburn Castle, a tower house that was the family seat of the Kirkpatrick family until 1783. The first record of the name is of a Sir Roger de Kirkpatrick (born c. 1280), 3rd cousin and associate of Robert the Bruce, 1st cousin of Sir William Wallace who attested a charter by one of the Bruces in the 14th century.
Early History of the Gilpatrox family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gilpatrox research. Another 210 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1232, 1783, 1296, 1695, 1685, 1686, 1728 and are included under the topic Early Gilpatrox History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gilpatrox Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kilpatrick, Gilpatrick, Patrick, Kirkpatrick and others.
Early Notables of the Gilpatrox family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst bearers of this family name during their early history was Sir Thomas Kirkpatrick, 1st Baronet (d. c. 1695) of Closeburn in the County of Dumfries, a Baronetage of Nova Scotia created for him on 26 March 1685; and...
Migration of the Gilpatrox family to Ireland
Some of the Gilpatrox family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Migration of the Gilpatrox family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Daniel Gilpatrick who settled in San Francisco in 1850; Andrew Patrick, and Henry, settled in Virginia in 1636; John Patrick settled in Virginia in 1638.