Early Origins of the Gillooly family
The surname Gillooly was first found in Leitrim
where they held a family seat
as a part of the O'Mulvey Clann. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion
of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Sligo
. They are believed to be descended through the O'Mulveys from Dermod Ruanach, chief of one of the 'Four Tribes of Tara' and a King of Ireland
in the 7th century.
Early History of the Gillooly family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gillooly research.Another 200 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gillooly History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gillooly Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Gillooly, Gilhooly, Gillhooly, Gilluly, Gillulie, Gilooly, Gululie, Giluly, Giluley, Gulhouley, Gilhouly, Gollhooley and many more.
Early Notables of the Gillooly family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gillooly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gillooly family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gillooly Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Gillooly, who arrived in New York City in 1847
- Kate Gillooly, aged 17, who landed in America, in 1894
Gillooly Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Patrick Gillooly, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States from Mohill, Ireland, in 1908
- James Gillooly, aged 21, who emigrated to America from Scranogue, Ireland, in 1910
- John Gillooly, aged 20, who landed in America from Elphin, Ireland, in 1911
- Bridget Gillooly, aged 18, who landed in America from Elphin, Ireland, in 1911
- Joseph Gillooly, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Gillooly Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Michael Gillooly, who was recorded in the 1871 census of Ontario, Canada
Contemporary Notables of the name Gillooly (post 1700)
- Edna Rae Gillooly (b. 1932), American Academy Award winning actress, best known by her stage name Ellen Burnstyn
- Joseph A. Gillooly, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1924, 1928 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- The Most Reverend Laurence Gillooly (1819-1895), Irish Roman Catholic clergyman, Bishop of Elphin (1885 to 1895)