Gilkerson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Hebrides islands and the west coast of Scotland are the ancestral home of the Gilkerson family. Their name comes from the Gaelic "Gille Criosd", which means "the servant of Christ".
Early Origins of the Gilkerson family
The surname Gilkerson was first found in Angus (Gaelic: Aonghas), part of the Tayside region of northeastern Scotland, and present day Council Area of Angus, formerly known as Forfar or Forfarshire, where they held a family seat some say as far back as the 12th century. The first record of the name was in Cupar-Angus in the 15th century where they held a family seat at Murthly in Atholl, in the parish of Little Dunkeld in Perthshire.
Early History of the Gilkerson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gilkerson research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1600, 1680 and 1800 are included under the topic Early Gilkerson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gilkerson Spelling Variations
Medieval translation of Gaelic names could not be referred to as an accurate process. Spelling was not yet standardized, and names in documents from that era are riddled with spelling variations. Gilkerson has been written as Gilchristson, Gilkerson, Gilkison, Gilcriston, Gilkersone, MacGilchrist, McGilchrist, Gilchristoun, Kilkerson, Gilkisone, Gilkrisoune, Gilkcrissone and many more.
Early Notables of the Gilkerson family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gilkerson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gilkerson family to Ireland
Some of the Gilkerson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gilkerson migration to the United States +
Ancestors of many of the Dalriadan families who crossed the Atlantic still live along the east coast of the United States and Canada. Some Scottish settlers arrived in Canada during the American War of Independence as United Empire Loyalists, while others stayed south to fight for a new nation. The descendants of Scottish settlers in both countries began to rediscover their heritage in the 19th and 20th centuries through Clan societies and highland games. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Gilkerson or a variant listed above:
Gilkerson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Gilkerson, who landed in New York in 1848 
- L Gilkerson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- D Gilkerson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gilkerson (post 1700) +
- John Gilkerson (b. 1985), American soccer player
- James E. Gilkerson, American Republican politician, Candidate for South Dakota State House of Representatives 4th District, 2010 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html