The saga of the Geikie family begins among the people of the ancient tribe of the Picts
. They lived in the lands of Gagie, in the parish of Murroes in Angus.
Early Origins of the Geikie family
The surname Geikie was first found in Angus
(Gaelic: Aonghas), part of the Tayside region of northeastern Scotland
, and present day Council Area of Angus
, formerly known as Forfar or Forfarshire
, where they held a family seat
on the lands of Gagie in the parish of Murroes from very ancient times.
Early History of the Geikie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Geikie research.Another 156 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1453, 1529, 1574, and 1663 are included under the topic Early Geikie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Geikie Spelling Variations
Although Medieval Scotland
lacked a basic set of spelling rules, which meant that scribes recorded names according to their sounds it was not uncommon for the names of a father and son to be recorded differently. As a result, there are many spelling variations
of Scottish single names. Geikie has been written Geekie, Geikie, Geggie, Gagie, Geky and others.
Early Notables of the Geikie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Geikie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Geikie family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of Scots left their home country to travel to Ireland
, or to cross the Atlantic for the North American colonies. The difficult crossing was an enormous hurdle, but those who survived found freedom and opportunity in ample measure. Some Scots even fought for their freedom in the American War of Independence
. This century, their ancestors have become aware of the illustrious history of the Scots in North America and at home through Clan
societies and other organizations. Passenger and immigration lists show many early and influential immigrants bearing the name Geikie:
Geikie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Archibald Geikie, aged 61, who landed in America, in 1897
Geikie Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Helen Geikie, aged 44, who landed in America from Dundee, Scotland, in 1911
- Percy Geikie, aged 44, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1922
Geikie Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Grace. B. Geikie, aged 39, who settled in Oshawa, Ont., in 1918
- Walter. R. Geikie, aged 39, who emigrated to Oshawa, Ont., in 1918
Contemporary Notables of the name Geikie (post 1700)
- James Stuart Geikie (1812-1884), Scottish musician and father of James and Archibald Geikie
- John Cunningham Geikie (1824-1906), Scottish-born minister and author
- Walter Geikie (1795-1837), Scottish painter
- James Geikie (1839-1915), Scottish geologist
- Sir Archibald Geikie OM, KCB, PRS, FRSE (1835-1924), Scottish geologist and writer, eponym of numerous places including Geikie Gorge National Park, Geikie Gorge, Geikie Glacier and Mout Geilkie