on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the English Gaston family come from? When did the Gaston family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gaston family history?The roots of the Anglo-Saxon name Gaston come from when the family resided in the area referred to as the gearstun, which was the Old English word identifying someone who lived by a grass enclosure.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Gaston has been recorded under many different variations, including Gaston, Gastone and others.
First found in Surrey where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gaston research. Another 308 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1210, 1327, 1332, and 1379 are included under the topic Early Gaston History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gaston Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Gaston family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 140 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Gaston or a variant listed above:
Gaston Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Fra Gaston, who arrived in Virginia in 1663
Gaston Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Gaston, a Huguenot immigrant who arrived in Perth Amboy, NJ, in 1720 along with his brothers Alexander Hugh and John
- Joseph Gaston, who landed in New Jersey in 1720
- Guillaume Gaston, who was on record in Louisiana in 1721
- William Gaston who landed in South Carolina in 1767
- Mary Gaston, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
Gaston Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Gaston, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1813
- John Gaston settled in New Orleans in 1821
- John Gaston settled in New York in 1823
- William Gaston, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1839
- James Gaston, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1844
Gaston Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Robert Gaston, who arrived in Quebec in 1834
Gaston Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Charles Gaston arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Somersetshire" in 1839
- Mary Gaston arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Somersetshire" in 1839
- Ann Gaston arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Somersetshire" in 1839
- Alfred Gaston, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Nabob"
Gaston Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- George Gaston, aged 19, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Tongariro" in 1888
- Justin Michael Gaston (b. 1988), American singer-songwriter, model, and actor
- Nathaniel Milton "Milt" Gaston (1896-1996), American right-handed pitcher in Major League Baseball from 1924 to 1934
- Michael Gaston (b. 1962), American film and television actor
- Robert "Rab Roy" Gaston (1910-2000), African-American baseball catcher in the Negro Leagues who played from 1933 through 1948
- Clarence Edwin "Cito" Gaston (b. 1944), former Major League Baseball player and manager of the Toronto Blue Jays (1989-1997) and (2008-2010), during which the team won two World Series titles (1992 and 1993) and two American League pennants
- William Gaston (1820-1894), Governor of Massachusetts in 1875-1876
- Alexander Gaston (d. 1781), American physician, surgeon, army captain in North Carolina
- William J Gaston (1778-1844), American judge, orator, politician, and namesake of Gaston County, South Carolina, formed in 1846
- Mr. John Gaston (1847-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Mrs. Charlotte Gaston (1848-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- The Gaston, Howard, and Wilkinson Families: A Genealogical History of Three Inter-Married Families in the Black Belt of Alabama by Kathleen Wilkinson Wood.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
This page was last modified on 17 December 2014 at 13:06.
on orders of $85 or more