on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Scottish Gaskill family come from? What is the Scottish Gaskill family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gaskill family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gaskill family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gaskell, Gaskill, Gaitskill, Gaitskell and others.
First found in Westmorland, at Gaisgill, a hamlet where one of the first records of the name was Thomas Gaskel, one of the witnesses in a dispute concerning lands of Monachkeneran in 1233. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gaskill research. Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1332, 1560 and 1742 are included under the topic Early Gaskill History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gaskill Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gaskill Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William, I Gaskill, who landed in Maryland in 1658
- William, II Gaskill, who arrived in Maryland in 1658
Gaskill Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elinor Gaskill settled in Pennsylvania in 1772
Gaskill Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Gaskill settled in Pennsylvania in 1840
- D W Gaskill, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1860
- Ellis Gaskill settled in Pennsylvania in 1878
Gaskill Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry Gaskill, aged 26, a smith, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Bucephalus"
- Brian Richard Gaskill (b. 1970), American Daytime Emmy Award nominated actor from Honolulu, Hawaii
- Mary Gaskill (b. 1941), American politician, Member of the Iowa House of Representatives (2003-)
- Jerry Gaskill (b. 1957), American rock musician
- William "Bill" Gaskill (1930-2016), British theatre director, founding director of the National Theatre, artistic director of the Royal Court Theatre between 1965 and 1972
- E Thurman Gaskill (b. 1935), American politician and grain farmer, Iowa State Senator (1997-2009)
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto Translation: By hope.
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
The Gaskill Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gaskill Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 February 2016 at 13:28.
on orders of $85 or more