on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Hundreds of years ago, the Gaelic name used by the Garnham family in Ireland
was Mag Fhionnain, derived from the word "fionn," which means "fair."
The surname Garnham was first found in County Mayo
(Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland
in the province of Connacht
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Within the archives researched, many different spelling variations of the surname Garnham were found. These included One reason for the many variations is that scribes and church officials often spelled an individual's name as it sounded. This imprecise method often led to many versions. Gannon, Ganon and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Garnham research. Another 199 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1798 is included under the topic Early Garnham History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Garnham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Garnham Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Benjamin Garnham, aged 24, a bricklayer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Catherine"
- Benjamin Garnham, aged 24, a bricklayer, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Catherine" in 1851
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
The Garnham Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Garnham Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 November 2014 at 09:22.
on orders of $85 or more