Frayser History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the Frayser family name are somewhat of a mystery. The earliest recorded versions of the name, from the 12th century, are de Fresel, de Friselle and de Freseliere, which appear to be Norman; however they have never been found in Normandy itself. The other possibility is that the name was derived from Gaelic, but no-one has been able to locate a Gaelic name from which Frayser might be derived. It is thought that it was in later years that the "fraisse," or strawberry was adopted as part of the Armorial bearings of this family due to the similarity of the pronunciation of this French word to the Frayser surname.
Early Origins of the Frayser family
The surname Frayser was first found in Tweedale, Peebles-shire, where Sir Simon Frasee held part of the lands of Keith. There is a record of Symon Fraser giving the church of Keith to the Abbey of Kelso in Circa 1160. Early records include Gilbert Fraser, who witnessed a charter by Walter Olifard in 1210. A later Sir Simon known as "the Scottish Patriot" was a supporter of Sir William Wallace in the struggle for independence.
Important Dates for the Frayser family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Frayser research. Another 185 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1302, 1375, 1692, 1610, 1681, 1607, 1681, 1667, 1747, 1746, 1654, 1715 and are included under the topic Early Frayser History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Frayser Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Frazer, Fraser, Frasher, Frisell, Frasee, Frazie, Frazier, Friselle, Fresser, Friser, Fryssar, Fressell, Fresal, Fresale, Frichell, Fraysser, Fresall, Fresle, Fresill, Fressair, Fraisser and many more.
Early Notables of the Frayser family (pre 1700)
Notable among the family at this time was Sir Alexander Fraizer (1610?-1681), a Scottish physician, declared by the king to be an excellent physician; Sir Alexander Fraser, 1st Baronet (c.?1607-1681), principal physician to King Charles II of...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Frayser Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Frayser family to Ireland
Some of the Frayser family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 82 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Frayser migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Frayser Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Alexander Frayser, who arrived in Maryland in 1675 
Frayser Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Frayser, who landed in Virginia in 1700 
Contemporary Notables of the name Frayser (post 1700)
- Victoria Frayser, American Republican politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 138th District, 1994, 2000 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, November 24) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html