Fourie History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Fourie family
The surname Fourie was first found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat at Rutherglen from early times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066. An ancient couplet says "nae man can tell, nae man has seen, when the Faries Haena in Ruglen been." A rough translation of this couplet: "no man can remember when there hasn't been a family of Faries at Rutherglen." 
Important Dates for the Fourie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fourie research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and are included under the topic Early Fourie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fourie Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fairie, Fairrie, Farie, Fairey, Ferry, Ferrie, Fairy, Faireye and many more.
Early Notables of the Fourie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Fourie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Fourie family to Ireland
Some of the Fourie family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 77 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fourie migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Fourie Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Fourie Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louis Johsf. Fourie, aged 28, who landed in America from Amsterdam, Holland, in 1911
- Herman G. Fourie, aged 27, who immigrated to the United States from Fourusburg, S Africa, in 1919
Contemporary Notables of the name Fourie (post 1700)
- Claude G. Fourie, American politician, Mayor of San Bruno, California, 1952-53 
- Charles J. Fourie (b. 1965), South African playwright and director
- Brenden Craig Fourie (b. 1970), former South African cricketer
- Jan Carel Fourie (1937-2007), South African jazz guitarist
- Deon Fourie (b. 1986), South African rugby union footballer
- Pierre Jacy Fourie (1943-1980), South African undefeated middle and light heavyweight South African champion boxer
- Marthinus Jacobus Fourie (b. 1979), South African-born Irish cricketer
- Lehann Fourie (b. 1987), South African hurdler
- Jonathan Adriaan Fourie (b. 1939), South African professional golfer
- Carel Hendrik "Hendre" Fourie (b. 1979), South African-born, English professional rugby footballer
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
You May Also Like
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html