The name Forward has been recorded in British history since the time when the Anglo-Saxons
ruled over the region. The name is assumed to have been given to someone who was a swineherd, a person who tended hogs. Checking further we found the name was derived from the Old English elements for,
which meant pig or hog, and weard,
which meant guard or watchman.
Early Origins of the Forward family
The surname Forward was first found in Cheshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Forward family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Forward research.Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1279 and 1797 are included under the topic Early Forward History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Forward Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred
years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Forward has been spelled many different ways, including Forward, Forwood, Forewood, Foreward and others.
Early Notables of the Forward family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Forward Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Forward family to Ireland
Some of the Forward family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 34 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Forward family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Forwards to arrive in North America:
Forward Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Ambrose and Mary Forward who settled in Virginia in 1735 and later moved to Maryland
Forward Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William A Forward, who arrived in Canada in 1833
Forward Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Forward, aged 23, who arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Lord Hungerford"
Forward Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Forward, aged 44, a plumber, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Howrah" in 1874
- Fanny Forward, aged 43, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Howrah" in 1874
- Florence Forward, aged 2, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Howrah" in 1874
- Louisa Forward, aged 21, a servant, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Howrah" in 1874
- Fanny Forward, aged 23, a nurse, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Howrah" in 1874
Contemporary Notables of the name Forward (post 1700)
- William Forward (b. 1949), American actor from Santa Monica, California, USA
- Chauncey Forward (1793-1839), American politician, U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania, brother of Walter Forward
- Walter Forward (1786-1852), American administrator, 15th U.S. Secretary of the Treasury
- Robert L. Forward (1932-2002), American physicist and science fiction writer
- Bob Forward (b. 1958), American film director
- Sir Dudley Forward (1921-2001), English nobleman, who served as equerry to the Duke of Windsor and was a Verderer of the royal New Forest
Historic Events for the Forward family
- Mr. James Forward, aged 27, English Able Seaman from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping on life boat 16 CITATION[CLOSE]
Titanic Passenger List - Titanic Facts. (Retrieved 2016, July 13) . Retrieved from http://www.titanicfacts.net/titanic-passenger-list.html
Forward Family Crest Products
- ^ Titanic Passenger List - Titanic Facts. (Retrieved 2016, July 13) . Retrieved from http://www.titanicfacts.net/titanic-passenger-list.html