on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French, Italian
Where did the English Fortune family come from? What is the English Fortune family crest and coat of arms? When did the Fortune family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Fortune family history?
The name Fortune, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Fortune, Fortun and others.
First found in East Lothian in Roxburghshire where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fortune research. Another 213 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1200 and 1296 are included under the topic Early Fortune History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Fortune Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Fortune family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned as many of the settlers in Ireland, known as the Scotch/Irish, became disenchanted. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Amongst the early settlers who could be considered kinsmen of the Fortune family, or who bore a variation of the surname Fortune were
Fortune Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eleanor Fortune, who arrived in Maryland in 1662
- john Fortune, who landed in Maryland in 1662
- Robert Fortune, who arrived in Maryland in 1669
Fortune Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anthony Fortune who purchased land in Louisiana in 1721 and by the mid-1800's the Fortunes occupied territories in Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and San Francisco
- Henry Fortune, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1730
- Frantz Fortune, aged 26, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Michael Fortune, aged 22, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Malachi Fortune, aged 19, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
Fortune Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Fortune, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Martin Fortune, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- James Fortune, who landed in St Clair County in 1857
- Thomas Fortune, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857
Fortune Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Fortune, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
Fortune Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Fortune arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ida Zeigler" in 1863
- Alexander Fortune arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Asterope" in 1865
- Mary Fortune arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Asterope" in 1865
- Amelia Fortune arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Asterope" in 1865
- James Fortune, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in Otago aboard the ship "Dallam Tower" in 1875
- Peter Fortune, American educator and historian
- Jesse Fortune (1930-2009), American Chicago blues singer
- Jimmy Fortune (b. 1955), American country music singer
- Rose Fortune (1774-1864), African-American Black Loyalist and businesswoman, first female police officer in Canada
- Scott Thomas Fortune (b. 1966), American Olympic gold medalist volleyball player
- Sonny Fortune (b. 1939), American jazz musician
- Robert Gerard Fortune (1948-1988), American Insurance Executive from Jackson Heights, New York, America, who flew aboard the Pan Am Flight 103 from Frankfurt to Detroit, known as the Lockerbie bombing in 1988 and died
- Timothy Thomas Fortune (1856-1928), one of the most prominent black journalists involved in the flourishing black press of the post-Civil War era
- Lorraine Fortune, Canadian management consultant and partner in Donald M. Fortune & Ass. Ltd who lives in Ontario, Canada
- Reo Franklin Fortune (1903-1979), New Zealand social anthropologist
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Fortune Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fortune Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:22.
on orders of $85 or more