100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, French, Italian
The surname Fortune was first found in East Lothian in Roxburghshire where they held a family seat from ancient times.
The name Fortune, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Fortune, Fortun and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fortune research. Another 213 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1200 and 1296 are included under the topic Early Fortune History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Fortune Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Fortune family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned as many of the settlers in Ireland, known as the Scotch/Irish, became disenchanted. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Amongst the early settlers who could be considered kinsmen of the Fortune family, or who bore a variation of the surname Fortune were
Fortune Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eleanor Fortune, who arrived in Maryland in 1662
- john Fortune, who landed in Maryland in 1662
- Robert Fortune, who arrived in Maryland in 1669
Fortune Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anthony Fortune who purchased land in Louisiana in 1721 and by the mid-1800's the Fortunes occupied territories in Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and San Francisco
- Henry Fortune, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1730
- Frantz Fortune, aged 26, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Michael Fortune, aged 22, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Malachi Fortune, aged 19, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
Fortune Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Fortune, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Martin Fortune, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- James Fortune, who landed in St Clair County in 1857
- Thomas Fortune, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857
Fortune Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Fortune, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mr. William Fortune U.E. who settled in Eastern District, Cornwall, Ontario c. 1784
Fortune Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Fortune arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ida Zeigler" in 1863
- Alexander Fortune arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Asterope" in 1865
- Mary Fortune arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Asterope" in 1865
- Amelia Fortune arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Asterope" in 1865
- James Fortune, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in Otago aboard the ship "Dallam Tower" in 1875
- Robert Gerard Fortune (1948-1988), American Insurance Executive from Jackson Heights, New York, America, who flew aboard the Pan Am Flight 103 from Frankfurt to Detroit, known as the Lockerbie bombing in 1988 and died
- Sonny Fortune (b. 1939), American jazz musician
- Scott Thomas Fortune (b. 1966), American Olympic gold medalist volleyball player
- Rose Fortune (1774-1864), African-American Black Loyalist and businesswoman, first female police officer in Canada
- Jimmy Fortune (b. 1955), American country music singer
- Jesse Fortune (1930-2009), American Chicago blues singer
- George La Fortune, American politician, Representative from New York 33rd District, 1950
- Peter Fortune, American educator and historian
- Graham Charles Fortune CNZM (1941-2016), New Zealand diplomat and public servant, New Zealand Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva (1987-1990)
- Achille Victor Fortuné de Vaufreland-Piscatory, French Brigadier General during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars from 1789 to 1815
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Fortune Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fortune Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 March 2016 at 13:40.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!