Forse History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the Forse name lie with England's ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. It comes from when the family lived in Doultin and Shepton Mallet on either side of Fosse Way. The surname Forse is a topographic surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree.
Early Origins of the Forse family
The surname Forse was first found in Somerset where they held a family seat from very early times. The name is first documented as early as 978, recorded as Fos.
Early History of the Forse family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Forse research. Another 112 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1284, 1327, and 1379 are included under the topic Early Forse History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Forse Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Forse were recorded, including Foss, Fosse, Fos, Voss, Foose, Foos and others.
Early Notables of the Forse family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Forse Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Forse migration to the United States +
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Forse family emigrate to North America:
Forse Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Eliza Forse, a bonded emigrant from London to Maryland in 1743
- James Forse, who landed in Virginia in 1754 
Forse Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Henry Forse, who was living in Sacramento, California in 1863
Forse migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Forse Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- William Forse or Furse settled in St. John's, Newfoundland in 1703 
Forse migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Forse Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Forse, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Northumberland" in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Forse (post 1700) +
- Jay Forse, American professional drummer
- Charles Thomas Forse (1846-1925), Rear Admiral in the U.S. Navy
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Seary E.R., Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland, Montreal: McGill's-Queen's Universtity Press 1998 ISBN 0-7735-1782-0
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) NORTHUMBERLAND 1850. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1850Northumberland.gif