100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The original Gaelic form of Fogerty was O Fogartaigh, meaning exiled.
The surname Fogerty was first found in County Tipperary
(Irish: Thiobraid Árann), established in the 13th century in South-central Ireland
, in the province of Munster
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
The recording of names in Ireland in the Middle Ages was an inconsistent endeavor at best. The many regional dialects and the predominate illiteracy would have made common surnames appear unrelated to the scribes of the period. Research into the name Fogerty revealed spelling variations, including Fogarty, O'Fogarty, Foggarty, Fogherty, Foguety, Foggerty, Fogerty and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fogerty research. Another 187 words (13 lines of text) covering the year 1072 is included under the topic Early Fogerty History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Fogerty Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
The 19th century saw a great wave of Irish migrating out of their homeland in a great measure due to the oppressive imperial policies of the English government and landowners. Many of these Irish families
sailed to North America aboard overcrowded passenger ships. By far, the largest influx of Irish immigrants to North America occurred with Great Potato Famine
during the late 1840s. These particular immigrants were instrumental in creation of the United States and Canada as major industrial nations because the many essential elements such as the roadways, canals, bridges, and railways required an enormous quantity of cheap labor, which these poor immigrants provided. Later generations of Irish in these countries also went on to make valuable contributions in such fields as the arts, commerce, politics, and education. Extensive research into immigration and passenger lists has revealed many early immigrants bearing the name Fogerty:
Fogerty Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Fogerty, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- Jeremiah Fogerty, aged 27, landed in New York in 1812
- Daniel, James, John, Michael, Thomas, and Timothy Fogerty arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
Fogerty Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Michael Fogerty, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1839
Fogerty Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Fogerty, aged 22, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Tantivy"
- John Fogerty, aged 20, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Tantivy"
- Thomas Richard "Tom" Fogerty (1941-1990), American musician, best known as the rhythm guitarist in Creedence Clearwater Revival
- James I. Fogerty, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Lieutenant Governor of Ohio, 1924
- Charles F. Fogerty, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1956
- John Cameron Fogerty (b. 1945), American who with his brother Tom were best known for their rock band "Creedence Clearwater Revival"
- Tom Fogerty, American pop musician
- Joseph Fogerty Sr. (1806-1887), Irish builder and architect active in nineteenth-century Limerick
- John Fogerty, Irish millwright, architect, builder, civil engineer, active in early to mid-nineteenth-century Limerick
- Joseph Fogerty CE, FRIBA (1831-1899), an Irish civil engineer, architect, and novelist
- Terence "Terry" H. Fogerty (b. 1944), English professional rugby league footballer of the 1960s
- Adam Heywood Fogerty (b. 1969), English actor and former boxer and rugby league player
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
The Fogerty Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fogerty Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 November 2015 at 09:36.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!