Foerster History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Foerster surname was no doubt taken on by someone who either lived in or near a forest, or perhaps worked in the forest. The Middle English word "forest" referred specifically to an area of woodland reserved by law as hunting grounds for the king or his nobles. No doubt, as a surname, Foerster would have appeared independently in various parts of Britain.
Early Origins of the Foerster family
The surname Foerster was first found in Northumberland, but early records include John Forester, listed in the Pipe Rolls of Surrey of 1183, and Richard le Forester listed in the Feet of Fines of Essex in 1240. 
The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 include: Petrus Forestarius, Jordan le Forester; and Nicholas le Forester.  There was also a Shropshire family of this name, who held custody of part of the Wrekin forest. An early record of this family lists a Hugh Forester as a witness 1187.
As a trade name, the family were traditional "officers made by letters patent under the great seal, and sworn to preserve vert and venison in the forest; and to attend upon the wild beasts within his bailiwick; to attach offenders there either in Vert or Venison, and to preserve the same at the courts of the Forest." 
Early History of the Foerster family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Foerster research. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1471, 1538, 1623, 1652, 1655, 1718, 1679, 1690, 1758, 1767, 1828 and 1698 are included under the topic Early Foerster History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Foerster Spelling Variations
The name, Foerster, occurred in many references, and from time to time, it was spelt Forrester, Forester, Forrest, Forster, Foster, Forrestor and many more.
Early Notables of the Foerster family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was John Forrest (1471-1538), English friar and martyr; Francis Forester (b. 1623) was High Sheriff of Shropshire in 1652; Sir William Forester (1655-1718), of Dothill in Wellington, Shropshire, Member of Parliament for the borough constituency of Wenlock (1679 to his death)...
Another 49 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Foerster Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Foerster family to Ireland
Some of the Foerster family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 43 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Foerster migration to the United States +
The New World beckoned settlers from the Scottish-English borders. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Among the early settlers bearing the Foerster surname who came to North America were:
Foerster Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cath Foerster, aged 24, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1845 
- Margrethe Foerster, aged 29, who arrived in New Orleans La in 1845 
- Fritz Foerster, who arrived in Texas in 1850 
- Herman Foerster, who arrived in Texas in 1850 
- F Foerster, who landed in New York, NY in 1850 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Foerster (post 1700) +
- Heinz von Foerster (1911-2002), Austrian American scientist
- Thomas J. Foerster, American Democrat politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives; Elected 1960, 1964 
- Thomas Foerster (d. 2000), American Democrat politician, Member of Pennsylvania State Legislature; Candidate for Mayor of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1978; Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1992 
- Patricia Ann Foerster, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Maryland, 1996, 2000, 2004 
- August Förster, founder of the August Förster Piano Manufacturing Company in 1859
- Karlheinz Helmut Förster (b. 1958), retired German footballer
- Wilhelm Julius Foerster (1832-1921), German astronomer
- Josef Bohuslav Foerster (1859-1951), Czech composer of classical music
Related Stories +
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 3) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html