Flagler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Anglo-Saxon name Flagler comes from its first bearer, who was a streaked or dappled element. The surname Flagler originally derived from the Old English word Fleck.
Early Origins of the Flagler family
The surname Flagler was first found in Norfolk where they held a family seat from ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
Early History of the Flagler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Flagler research. Another 148 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1400, 1605, 1650, 1657, and 1679 are included under the topic Early Flagler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Flagler Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Flagler has been spelled many different ways, including Fleck, Flecke, Flegg, Flack, Flacks, Flick and many more.
Early Notables of the Flagler family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Flagler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Flagler family to Ireland
Some of the Flagler family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Flagler migration to Canada +
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Flaglers to arrive in North America:
Flagler Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Flagler, who arrived in Canada in 1831
Contemporary Notables of the name Flagler (post 1700) +
- Henry Morrison Flagler (1830-1913), American industrialist, founder of Standard Oil and what became the Florida East Coast Railway, eponym of Flagler County, Florida and the USS Flagler (AK-181), an Alamosa-class cargo ship in World War II
- Thomas T. Flagler (1811-1897), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York (1853-1857)
- Terrence Flagler (b. 1964), American NFL football player who played from 1987 to 1991 for the San Francisco 49ers and Phoenix Cardinals
- Thomas Thorn Flagler (1811-1897), American Republican politician, Member of New York State Assembly, 1842-43, 1860; U.S. Representative from New York 31st District, 1853-57 
- Peter Flagler, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Albany County, 1840 
Related Stories +