Ferrie History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Ferrie family
The surname Ferrie was first found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat at Rutherglen from early times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066. An ancient couplet says "nae man can tell, nae man has seen, when the Faries Haena in Ruglen been." A rough translation of this couplet: "no man can remember when there hasn't been a family of Faries at Rutherglen." 
Early History of the Ferrie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ferrie research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and are included under the topic Early Ferrie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ferrie Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fairie, Fairrie, Farie, Fairey, Ferry, Ferrie, Fairy, Faireye and many more.
Early Notables of the Ferrie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ferrie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In France, the name Ferrie is the 8,381st most popular surname with an estimated 500 - 1,000 people with that name. 
Migration of the Ferrie family to Ireland
Some of the Ferrie family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 77 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Ferrie migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ferrie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francisco Ferrie, aged 25, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1838 
Ferrie Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Thomas Ferrie, aged 25, arrived in New York in 1919 aboard the ship "Pannonia" from Naples, Italy 
- Charles Ferrie, originally from Glasgow, Scotland, arrived in New York City, New York in 1919 aboard the ship "Vitellia" from Glasgow, Scotland 
- Margaret Ferrie, aged 19, originally from Alexandria, Scotland, arrived in New York in 1920 aboard the ship "Columbia" from Glasgow, Scotland 
- Mary Clelland Ferrie, aged 50, originally from Glasgow, Scotland, arrived in New York in 1920 aboard the ship "Baltic" from Liverpool, England 
- John Ferrie, originally from Glasgow, Scotland, arrived in New York in 1920 aboard the ship "Baltic" from Liverpool, England 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Ferrie (post 1700) ||+|
- Tracy Ferrie, American musician, current bass player for the classic rock band Boston
- Adam Ferrie (1777-1863), Scottish-born, Canadian businessman and politician
- Colin Campbell Ferrie (1808-1856), Canadian merchant, banker, and politician, 1st Mayor of Hamilton, Ontario (1847)
- Gladstone Mansfield Ferrie (1892-1955), Canadian Liberal party member of the Canadian House of Commons
- Kenneth Ferrie (b. 1978), English professional golfer
- Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Ellis Island Search retrieved 15th November 2022. Retrieved from https://heritage.statueofliberty.org/passenger-result