Ferrey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ferrey family
The surname Ferrey was first found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat at Rutherglen from early times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066. An ancient couplet says "nae man can tell, nae man has seen, when the Faries Haena in Ruglen been." A rough translation of this couplet: "no man can remember when there hasn't been a family of Faries at Rutherglen." 
Early History of the Ferrey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ferrey research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and are included under the topic Early Ferrey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ferrey Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fairie, Fairrie, Farie, Fairey, Ferry, Ferrie, Fairy, Faireye and many more.
Early Notables of the Ferrey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ferrey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ferrey family to Ireland
Some of the Ferrey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 77 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ferrey migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ferrey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Ferrey, aged 28, who arrived in Missouri in 1842 
Ferrey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Wick Ferrey, aged 30, who arrived in America from Pendleton, in 1903
- W. T. Ferrey, who arrived in America, in 1903
- William Ferrey, aged 38, who arrived in America, in 1907
- Annie Ferrey, aged 37, who arrived in America, in 1907
- Helen Ferrey, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1907
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Ferrey (post 1700) +
- Steven Ferrey, American contracts and environmental law professor at Suffolk University
- Benjamin Ferrey FSA, FRIBA (1810-1870), English architect, twice Vice-President of the Royal Institute of British Architects, awarded a Royal Gold Medal in 1870
Related Stories +
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)