Ferree History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ferree family
The surname Ferree was first found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat at Rutherglen from early times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066. An ancient couplet says "nae man can tell, nae man has seen, when the Faries Haena in Ruglen been." A rough translation of this couplet: "no man can remember when there hasn't been a family of Faries at Rutherglen." 
Important Dates for the Ferree family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ferree research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and are included under the topic Early Ferree History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ferree Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fairie, Fairrie, Farie, Fairey, Ferry, Ferrie, Fairy, Faireye and many more.
Early Notables of the Ferree family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ferree Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ferree family to Ireland
Some of the Ferree family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 77 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ferree migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Ferree Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Ferree Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Phillis Ferree, aged 21, who landed in Maryland in 1686 
Ferree Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Maria Warenbur Ferree, who arrived in New York in 1708 
- Mary Warrenbuer Ferree, who landed in New York in 1708 
Contemporary Notables of the name Ferree (post 1700)
- Myra Marx Ferree (b. 1949), American professor of sociology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Arris Idyl "A.I." Ferree (1890-1965), American politician and attorney, Member of the North Carolina House of Representatives (1925 and 1943)
- Benjy Ferree (b. 1974), American singer/songwriter from Prince George's County, Maryland
- Jim Ferree (b. 1931), American professional PGA golfer, winner of the 1958 Vancouver Open Invitational and the 1991 Bell Atlantic Classic
- George C. Ferree, American politician, Postmaster at Altoona, Pennsylvania, 1850-52
- Arris I. Ferree, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 1932, 1948 (alternate); Lawyer; Candidate for U.S. Senator from North Carolina, 1944
- Joel Ferree Bedell Jr. (1905-1992), American Democrat politician, Public affairs representative, Humble Oil and Refining Company; Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Kanawha County, 1961-66; Defeated, 1966 
You May Also Like
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html