The original Gaelic form of Farragher was O Fearchair, derived from the word "fearchar," which means "man deer."
from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Farragher research.Another 95 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Farragher History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Names from the Middle Ages demonstrate many spelling variations
. This is because the recording scribe or church official often decided as to how a person's name was spelt and in what language. Research into the name Farragher revealed many variations, including Faragher, Faraugher, Fraher, Farraher and others.
To escape the religious and political discrimination they experienced primarily at the hands of the English, thousands of Irish left their homeland in the 19th century. These migrants typically settled in communities throughout the East Coast of North America, but also joined the wagon trains moving out to the Midwest. Ironically, when the American War of Independence
began, many Irish settlers took the side of England
, and at the war's conclusion moved north to Canada. These United Empire Loyalists, were granted land along the St. Lawrence River and the Niagara Peninsula. Other Irish immigrants settled in Newfoundland, the Ottawa Valley, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The greatest influx of Irish immigrants, however, came to North America during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. Thousands left Ireland
at this time for North America and Australia
. Many of those numbers, however, did not live through the long sea passage. These Irish settlers to North America were immediately put to work building railroads, coal mines, bridges, and canals. Irish settlers made an inestimable contribution to the building of the New World. Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the Irish name Farragher or a variant listed above, including: Patrick Faragher who settled in Philadelphia in 1880; John Farrahoe settled in Virginia in 1625.