Farman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Farman family
The surname Farman was first found in Edinburghshire, a former county, now part of the Midlothian council area where they held a family seat from very early times.
Important Dates for the Farman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Farman research. Another 156 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1301, 1426, 1467, 1562, 1465, 1521, 1501, 1513, 1514 and are included under the topic Early Farman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Farman Spelling Variations
Although the name, Farman, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Forman, Foreman, Formon, Fourman and others.
Early Notables of the Farman family (pre 1700)
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Farman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Farman family to Ireland
Some of the Farman family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Farman migration to the United States
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Farman family name Farman, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Farman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Alice Farman, aged 28, who landed in New England in 1635 
- Ralph Farman, aged 2, who arrived in New England in 1635 
- Mary Farman, aged 7, who arrived in New England in 1635 
- Cottam Farman, who landed in Maryland in 1657 
Farman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Farman, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pa, in 1856 
- John Farman, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1860 
Farman migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Farman Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Henry Farman, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1841
Contemporary Notables of the name Farman (post 1700)
- Brigadier-General Ivan Lonsdale Farman (1902-1990), American Commanding General Army Airways Communications System (1945) 
- Elbert E. Farman, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1872 
- C. H. Farman, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 3rd District, 1940 
- Joseph Charles Farman CBE (1930-2013), British geophysicist who worked for the British Antarctic Survey
- Henri Farman (1874-1958), French pioneer aviator
- Farman Patchen, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Woodbury, 1839 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Generals of World War II. (Retrieved 2012, February 29) Ivan Farman. Retrieved from http://generals.dk/general/Farman/Ivan_Lonsdale/USA.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 1) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html