100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
Exley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Exley is a name whose history is connected to the ancient Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Exley family once lived in Eckershall, historically in three places: one in the parish of Bradford in the West Riding of Yorkshire
, the second in the parish of Blackburn in the county of Lancaster; and the third in a parish in the county of Stafford.
Early Origins of the Exley family
The surname Exley was first found in Worcestershire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Exley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Exley research.Another 133 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Exley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Exley Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations
were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Exley family name include Eckershall, Eckersall and others.
Early Notables of the Exley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Exley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Exley family to the New World and Oceana
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland
, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Exley surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Exley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Fred Exley, aged 33, who settled in America from Yorkshire, in 1893
- Bertram Exley, aged 3, who landed in America from Bradford, in 1894
- Hiram Exley, aged 48, who landed in America from Dewsbury, in 1897
Exley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Frances Exley, aged 38, who landed in America from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- Alfred Exley, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States from Sutton, in 1907
- Mary Ann Exley, aged 31, who emigrated to the United States from Sutton, in 1907
- Emily Exley, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States from Harrogate, England, in 1914
- Mary Exley, aged 65, who settled in America from Harrogate, England, in 1914
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Exley (post 1700)
- John Onins Exley Jr. (1867-1938), American rower
- Zack Exley (b. 1969), American political and technology consultant
- Frederick E. "Fred" Exley (1929-1992), American novelist
- Sheck Exley (1949-1994), American cave-diving pioneer and author
- H. L. Exley, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Iowa, 1916 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- George H. "Mick" Exley (b. 1911), English former professional rugby league footballer
- Vicky Exley (b. 1975), English international women's footballer
Historic Events for the Exley family
- Miss Ida Exley, American 2nd Class passenger from North Braintree, Massachusetts, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking CITATION[CLOSE]
Lusitania Passenger List - The Lusitania Resource. (Retrieved 2014, March 7) . Retrieved from http://www.rmslusitania.info/lusitania-passenger-list/
Exley Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Lusitania Passenger List - The Lusitania Resource. (Retrieved 2014, March 7) . Retrieved from http://www.rmslusitania.info/lusitania-passenger-list/
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!