A family in the Pictish tribe of ancient Scotland
was the first to use the name Elgie. They lived in Perth (in the region of Tayside), where the family has a rich history dating back many years.
Early Origins of the Elgie family
The surname Elgie was first found in Perthshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Elgie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Elgie research.Another 128 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1412 and 1693 are included under the topic Early Elgie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Elgie Spelling Variations
In medieval Scotland, names were more often spelled according to sound than any regular set of rules. An enormous number of spelling variations
were the result. Over the years, the name Elgie has been spelled Elgie, Elgee, Elgy, Elgey, Elge and others.
Early Notables of the Elgie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Elgie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Elgie family to the New World and Oceana
In such difficult times, Ireland
, and North America looked like better homes for many Scots. The trips were expensive and grueling, but also rewarding, as the colonies were havens for those unwelcome in the old country. That legacy did not die easily, though, and many were forced to fight for their freedom in the American War of Independence
. The Scottish legacy has resurface in more recent times, though, through Clan
societies, highland games, and other organizations. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the old Scottish name of Elgie: John Elgee who settled in Carolina in 1734.
Contemporary Notables of the name Elgie (post 1700)
- Professor Robert Clyde Elgie, author and academic at Dublin City University
- Dr. Robert Goldwin Elgie (1929-1975), Canadian lawyer and politician who represented Woodbine in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario (1934-1943) and (1945-1948)
- Michael Kelsey "Kim" Elgie (b. 1933), born in Durban, Natal, a former South African cricketer who played in 3 Tests from 1961 to 1962
- Lauriston Elgie Shaw FRCP (1859-1923), English physician and dean of the Guy's Hospital medical school from 1893 to 1901
- Elgie Stover (b. 1938), American songwriter, composer, producer and background singer