Eggert History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Eggert is an ancient Anglo-Saxon surname that came from the ancient personal name Eggar.
Early Origins of the Eggert family
The surname Eggert was first found in Lancashire in the north of England, where they held a family seat from ancient times, but from about the 13th century moved south to Foston in Derbyshire, and Sudbury, in the same county.
Early History of the Eggert family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Eggert research. Another 53 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1516, 1613, 1701, 1540, 1615, 1540 and 1627 are included under the topic Early Eggert History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Eggert Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Eggert has been recorded under many different variations, including Agard, Aggard, Aegard, Agart, Aggart, Egard and many more.
Early Notables of the Eggert family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Mabel Agard of Foston; and Étienne Agard de Champs (Dechamps) (1613-1701), a French Jesuit theologian and author.
Arthur Agard or Agarde (1540-1615), was a distinguished antiquary and deputy-chamberlain in the Exchequer, was descended from an ancient Derbyshire family. He...
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Eggert Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Eggert is the 6,444th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Migration of the Eggert family to Ireland
Some of the Eggert family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 69 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Eggert migration to the United States +
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Eggert or a variant listed above:
Eggert Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacob Eggert, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Karl Friedrich Eggert, aged 39, who landed in America in 1843 
- Christ Friedrich Eggert, aged 42, who landed in America in 1843 
- Dorothea Sophie Eggert, aged 40, who arrived in America in 1846 
- Friedrich Eggert, who landed in Texas in 1846 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Eggert (post 1700) +
- Moritz Eggert (b. 1965), German composer and pianist
- Christian Eggert (b. 1986), German football player
Historic Events for the Eggert family +
- Otto Eggert (1912-1941), German Matrose Res. who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Bismarck & Tirpitz Class - Crew List Bismarck. (Retrieved 2018, February 06). Retrieved from https://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/crew/bismarck_crew.html#crew_details