on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Durkin family come from? What is the Irish Durkin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Durkin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Durkin family history?The Durkin surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Mac Duarcáin.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Durkin, Durkan, Dorcan, McDurkin, McDorcan, McDurkan, Gurkin, McGurkin, O'Durkin, O'Durcan and many more.
First found in north Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat as Chiefs of their race. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Sligo where seated and represented the first recorded reference to the name by Sineall, son of Cassan. They were descended through the MacNamara line from the O'Brien Kings of Ireland.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Durkin research. Another 209 words(15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Durkin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Durkin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Durkin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Annie Durkin, who arrived in Virginia in 1670
Durkin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anthony Durkin, who came to Philadelphia in 1844
- Catharine Durkin, who came to New York in 1864
- Ann Durkin, who settled in New York in 1864
- Ann Durkin, aged 7, arrived in New York in 1864
- Catharine Durkin, aged 30, landed in New York in 1864
- Kevin Durkin (b. 1973), American professional (PGA) golfer
- Brian F. Durkin (b. 1976), American actor
- Martin Patrick Durkin (1894-1955), American administrator, 7th Secretary of Labor in 1953, known as the "plumber" of President Dwight Eisenhower's "Nine Millionaires and a Plumber" cabinet
- Jim Durkin (b. 1961), American politician, Republican member of the Illinois House of Representatives (2013-)
- Robert Durkin (b. 1923), American chess master, eponym of the Durkin Opening
- Tom Durkin (b. 1950), American sportscaster specializing in Thoroughbred horse racing
- Master Sergeant William Lloyd Durkin (1916-2006), American Marine who became famous for rescuing Howard Hughes when the aviation pioneer's XF-11 reconnaissance plane crashed on July 7, 1946
- John Anthony Durkin (1936-2012), American politician, Democratic U.S. Senator from New Hampshire (1975 to 1980)
- Trent Bernard "Junior" Durkin (1915-1935), American stage and film actor, perhaps best known for his roles as Huckleberry Finn in Tom Sawyer (1930), and Huckleberry Finn (1931)
- Raymond M. 'Ray' Durkin (b. 1936), American Democratic party politician, Chairman of the New Jersey Democratic State Committee (1985-1990)
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
The Durkin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Durkin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:21.
on orders of $85 or more