Durk History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Durk surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Mac Duarcáin.
Early Origins of the Durk family
The surname Durk was first found in north Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat as Chiefs of their race. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Sligo where seated and represented the first recorded reference to the name by Sineall, son of Cassan. They were descended through the MacNamara line from the O'Brien Kings of Ireland.
Important Dates for the Durk family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Durk research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Durk History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Durk Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Durkin, Durkan, Dorcan, McDurkin, McDorcan, McDurkan, Gurkin, McGurkin, O'Durkin, O'Durcan and many more.
Early Notables of the Durk family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Durk Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Durk migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Durk Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Joost Durk, who landed in America in 1675 
- Jean Durk, who arrived in New York in 1678 
- Isabel Durk, who arrived in New Jersey in 1685 
- Isobel Durk, who landed in New Jersey in 1685 
- Josst Durk, who landed in New York in 1687 
Durk Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Pierre Mathieu Durk, aged 45, who arrived in Louisiana in 1720 
- Marg Eliz Durk, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1786 
Durk Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Durk, who arrived in South Carolina in 1841
- Nicholas Durk, aged 34, who landed in Missouri in 1845 
- Catharine Durk, aged 22, who arrived in New York in 1854 
Contemporary Notables of the name Durk (post 1700)
- Lil Durk (b. 1992), stage name of Durk D. Banks, an American rapper from Chicago, Illinois
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)