on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, German, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Duren family come from? What is the Scottish Duren family crest and coat of arms? When did the Duren family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Duren family history?Though shrouded by the mists of time, the chronicles of Scotland reveal the early records of the Norman surname Duren which ranks as one of the oldest. The history of the name is interwoven within the colorful plaid of Scottish history and is an intrinsic part of the heritage of Scotland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Durand, Durant, Durande, Durrane and others.
First found in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, and Salop, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Duren research. Another 221 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1140, 1296, 1632 and 1692 are included under the topic Early Duren History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Duren Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Duren Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Fra Duren, who settled in Georgia in 1733
- Durst Duren, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1749
Duren Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- W. H. Duren, who settled in San Francisco in 1851
- Erasmus Hubert Duren, aged 10, arrived in Wisconsin in 1885
- Clarence Edward Duren (b. 1950), former professional American NFL football player
- William Duren, American Republican politician, Mayor of Calais, Maine, 1872-75
- Turner A. Duren, American politician, Mayor of Largo, Florida, 1914-15
- Joanne M. Duren, American Democrat politician, Member of Wisconsin State Assembly 50th District; Elected 1974
- B. Kwaku Duren, American politician, Representative from California, 1986, 1988, 1992
- Cristin Duren (b. 1981), American beauty queen from Panama City, Florida who has competed in the Miss Teen USA and Miss USA pageants
- Rinold George "Ryne" Duren (b. 1929), American former relief pitcher in Major League Baseball from Cazenovia, Wisconsin
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Duren Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Duren Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 October 2015 at 11:00.
on orders of $85 or more