Dundee History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the Dundee family were part of an ancient Scottish tribe called the Picts. They lived in the town of Dundee in Angus.
Early Origins of the Dundee family
The surname Dundee was first found in Dundee, in the county of Angus, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Dundee family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dundee research. Another 184 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1245, 1287, 1292, 1296, 1297, 1458, 1489, 1526, and 1558 are included under the topic Early Dundee History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dundee Spelling Variations
In medieval Scotland, names were more often spelled according to sound than any regular set of rules. An enormous number of spelling variations were the result. Over the years, the name Dundee has been spelled Dunde, Dundee and others.
Early Notables of the Dundee family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dundee Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dundee migration to the United States
In such difficult times, Ireland, Australia, and North America looked like better homes for many Scots. The trips were expensive and grueling, but also rewarding, as the colonies were havens for those unwelcome in the old country. That legacy did not die easily, though, and many were forced to fight for their freedom in the American War of Independence. The Scottish legacy has resurface in more recent times, though, through Clan societies, highland games, and other organizations. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the old Scottish name of Dundee:
Typical Dundee Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Dundee Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Dundee, who arrived in Maryland in 1664 
Dundee Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Dundee who landed in North America in 1730
Dundee migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Dundee Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
Contemporary Notables of the name Dundee (post 1700)
- James "Jamie" Dundee (b. 1971), American professional wrestler
- Johnny Dundee (1893-1965), American featherweight and junior lightweight boxer
- Joe Dundee (1903-1982), American boxer
- Sean William Dundee (b. 1972), South African-born footballer
- Professor John Dundee (1921-1992), one of the world's leading anaesthetists
- Vince Dundee (1907-1949), former New York State middleweight champion of the world
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ South Australian Register Tuesday 12th December 1854. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Marion 1854. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/marion1854.shtml