Drane History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Drane is derived from the Middle English word "drane," or drone, which is the male honey bee.
Early Origins of the Drane family
The surname Drane was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1276 when Roger Drane held estates in that shire.
Important Dates for the Drane family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Drane research. Another 77 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1275, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Drane History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Drane Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Drane, Drain, Drone, Dron, Dran, Drayne, Drayn and others.
Early Notables of the Drane family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Drane Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Drane family to Ireland
Some of the Drane family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 101 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Drane migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Drane Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Drane Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Robert Drane, aged 31, who arrived in New York in 1919 aboard the ship "Espagne" from Bordeaux, France 
Contemporary Notables of the name Drane (post 1700)
- Dwight Drane (b. 1962), retired professional American football safety
- Herbert Jackson Drane (1863-1947), U.S. Representative from Florida
- Maria Ashley Drane (b. 1981), in Louisville, Kentucky, United States, American Television actress
- Robert McV. Drane, American Democrat politician, Circuit Judge in West Virginia for the 21st Judicial Circuit, 1940 
- Marvin Lee Drane, American Republican politician, Candidate for Kentucky State House of Representatives 42nd District, 1975 
- John M. Drane, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Tennessee, 1952 
- John M. Drane, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Tennessee, 1912 
- James Drane, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Mississippi, 1860 
- Herbert Jackson Drane (1863-1947), American Democrat politician, Mayor of Lakeland, Florida, 1888-92; Member of Florida State House of Representatives, 1903-05; Member of Florida State Senate, 1913-17 
- Carter H. Drane, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Alabama, 2008 
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
You May Also Like
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J6QF-HTB : 6 December 2014), Robert Drane, 07 Feb 1919; citing departure port Bordeaux, arrival port New York, ship name Espagne, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html