on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the English Dockery family come from? What is the English Dockery family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dockery family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dockery family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dockwra, Dockwray, Dockray, Dockeray, Dockery, Dockree, Docwra, Dockreay and many more.
First found in Cumberland where they held a family seat on the English/Scottish border. After the Norman Conquest of England many of Duke William's rebellious Barons moved north. The border became a convenient no-man's land. Notable families such as the Percy, the Umfravilles and the Nevilles gathered many supporting clans around them. In the 16th century they became known as the 'unruly clans'. In that century, many of those clans drove their herds south, and they settled in Yorkshire and Lancashire. The name was first recorded in Dockwray, a hamlet in Matterdale in Cumberland. John de Dockwra was recorded with estates in 1332. In 1467 Robert Dockra succeeded to the estates. Isabel Dockray was listed in 1560.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dockery research. Another 221 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1620, 1623, 1635, 1716 and 1680 are included under the topic Early Dockery History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 59 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dockery Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dockery Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Daniel Dockery, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1764
Dockery Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ellen Dockery, aged 60, who landed in America from Leitrim, in 1893
- James Dockery, aged 48, who landed in America, in 1893
- Kate Dockery, aged 20, who settled in America from Roscommon, in 1893
- Bridget Dockery, aged 34, who landed in America from Stokestown, Co. Roscommon, in 1897
Dockery Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Joseph Dockery, aged 17, who settled in America from Carriglen Co. Lutrim, in 1905
- James A. Dockery, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Dublin, in 1905
- Kate Dockery, aged 19, who landed in America from Boyle, Ireland, in 1907
- Bridget Dockery, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Kilnore, Ireland, in 1908
- Annie Dockery, aged 18, who landed in America from Casterea, Ireland, in 1908
- John Dockery, American sportscaster and former American football defensive back
- Derrick Dewayne Dockery (b. 1980), American football guard
- Kevin Dockery (b. 1984), American football cornerback
- Alfred Dockery (1797-1875), American Congressional Representative
- David S. Dockery (b. 1952), the American 15th president of Union University
- John "Rex" Dockery (1942-1983), American football player and coach
- Alexander Monroe Dockery (1845-1926), United States Representative
- Sean Areon Dockery (b. 1983), American basketball player
- Paula Dockery, Republican Party member of the Florida Senate
- James Dockery (b. 1988), American football cornerback
- Dockerys of Dixie by William Glenn Allen.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
The Dockery Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dockery Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 February 2015 at 13:00.
on orders of $85 or more