The prestigious surname Dessau comes from the region of Provence, in France. The surname Dessau is of local
origin, and is therefore a type of hereditary surname. Local
surnames are derived either from an already existing place-name or from a local feature of the geography.
Early Origins of the Dessau family
The surname Dessau was first found in Provence, where this distinguished family held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Dessau family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dessau research.Another 198 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1384, 1406, 1552, 1554, 1574, 1614, 1620, 1622, 1645, 1665, 1728, and 1731 are included under the topic Early Dessau History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dessau Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Lessard, Lessart, Lessar, Lessarde, Lesart, Lesard, Lesser, Lesseir, Leser, Lezer, Lesarde, Lesar, Lezard, Lezzard, Lezart, Lezar, Lezarde, Lisart, Lizart, Sarde, Sardo and many more.
Early Notables of the Dessau family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the names at this time was Hubert Le Sueur (c.1580-1658), a French sculptor with the contemporaneous reputation of having trained in Giambologna's Florentine workshop; Balthazard Sarde, Chief Auditor in the Audit Office in 1622; Jean Le... Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dessau Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Dessau family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dessau Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Dessau, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Dessau (post 1700)
- Washington Dessau, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Georgia, 1888 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2017, April 12) Washington Dessau. Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- M. M. Dessau, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Massachusetts, 1888 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2017, April 12) M. Dessau. Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Paul Dessau, German conductor and composer. As a conductor he worked (1919–23) in Cologne before moving to Berlin from 1925 until 1933
- Paul Dessau (1894-1979), German composer
- Hubert Dessau Bunn, American politician, Member of Georgia State House of Representatives from Ware County, 1931-32 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 26) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html