Deshon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Anglo-Saxon name Deshon comes from the medieval personal name Dennis. Deshon is a metronymic surname, which belongs to the category of hereditary surnames. In this case, the surname comes from the first name of the mother, or of another female ancestor of the bearer. It was common for second sons to take the name of their mother as a surname in the Middle Ages. In general, where patronymic surnames were used, the first son adopted the given name of his father as a surname. This type of surname is the most common form of hereditary surname. The earliest origins of this family were found in the county of Worcestershire, where they had been settled prior to the Norman Conquest, in 1066.
Early Origins of the Deshon family
The surname Deshon was first found in Worcestershire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Deshon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Deshon research. Another 77 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1387 is included under the topic Early Deshon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deshon Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Deshon were recorded, including Dyson, Dison, Disson, Dysson and others.
Early Notables of the Deshon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Deshon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deshon migration to the United States +
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Deshon family emigrate to North America:
Deshon Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Deshon, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1893
- Eloisa Deshon, aged 1, who immigrated to the United States, in 1896
Deshon Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- C. Deshon, who landed in America, in 1906
- S.D.(Susie) Deshon, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1911
- John J. Deshon, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States, in 1912
- Mrs John J Deshon, aged 22, who landed in America, in 1912
- Florence Deshon, aged 22, who settled in America, in 1916
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Deshon (post 1700) +
- John Deshon, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from New London, 1834 
- Daniel Deshon, American politician, Member of Connecticut State Senate 7th District, 1839 
- Florence Deshon (1893-1922), American silent motion picture actress who appeared in over twenty films from 1915 to 1921
- George Deshon (1823-1903), American Paulist Father
- David Peter Tower Deshon (1923-1992), English school cricketer
- Aaron DeShon McGhee (b. 1979), American professional NBA basketball forward
Related Stories +