100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Dealy name has descended through the generations from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. Their name comes from having lived in Kent, where the name was often spelt Dole.
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Dealy has undergone many spelling variations, including Deal, Deale, Dealey, Dealy, Deel and others.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dealy research. Another 294 words (21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dealy History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dealy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Dealy were among those contributors:
Dealy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Dealy, who arrived in America in 1810
Dealy Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Margaret Dealy, aged 20, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Oriental,"
- Frances Dealy (aged 16), a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Eliza"
- Jack Dealy (b. 1965), American professional football player
- Patrick E. Dealy (1861-1924), American Major League Baseball player
- Linda Dealy (b. 1954), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 2004
- Leon J. Dealy, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Wisconsin 5th District, 1956
- Jacob H. Dealy, American Democrat politician, Mayor of Amsterdam, New York, 1906-09, 1912-13
- Bobbie Dealy (b. 1975), English professional footballer
- Jane Mary Dealy (1856-1939), English artist of the later nineteenth and early twentieth centuries
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
The Dealy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dealy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 January 2016 at 14:53.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!