Dauncey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Dauncey is one of the names that was brought to England in the wave of migration following the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Dauncey family lived in Wiltshire. The family was originally from Anizy, in Calvados, Normandy, and it is from this location that their surname derives. The name would have stood D'Anizy, which means from Anizy. 
Early Origins of the Dauncey family
The surname Dauncey was first found in Wiltshire where Richard de Dauntesye was one of the first records of the name as listed in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273. The same rolls listed Peter de Dauntesy in Berkshire.  West Lavington in Wiltshire "was for many generations the property of the Dauntsey family, of whom William Dauntsey, a younger son, was alderman of London in 1542."  He would later found and endow an almshouse, and a grammar school there. The church contains the sepulchral chapel of the Dauntsey family. Through marriage the property passed to the Danvers family.
Important Dates for the Dauncey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dauncey research. Another 156 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1242, 1348, 1349, 1632 and 1542 are included under the topic Early Dauncey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dauncey Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, Norman French and other languages became incorporated into English throughout the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Dauncey include Dancey, Dauncy, Dauncey, Dauntsey, Dance, Dancie, Dauncie, Dauntsie and many more.
Early Notables of the Dauncey family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Richard Dansy, High Sheriff of Herefordshire in 1348 and 1349. Roger Dansey was High Sheriff of Herefordshire in 1632. William Dauntesey (or Dauntsey) was a...
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dauncey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Dauncey family to Ireland
Some of the Dauncey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dauncey migration to the United States
In England at this time, the uncertainty of the political and religious environment of the time caused many families to board ships for distant British colonies in the hopes of finding land and opportunity, and escaping persecution. The voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, though, and many arrived in North America sick, starved, and destitute. Those who did make it, however, were greeted with greater opportunities and freedoms that they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make important contributions to the young nations in which they settled. Early immigration records have shown some of the first Daunceys to arrive on North American shores:
Typical Dauncey Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Dauncey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Wm. George Dauncey, aged 49, who settled in America from Thornton Heath, England, in 1915
- Harry Moore Dauncey, aged 55, who landed in America from Bournemouth, England, in 1918
- Samuel Henry Dauncey, aged 73, who immigrated to the United States from Weston-Super-Mare, England, in 1921
- Emma El Anne Dauncey, aged 60, who settled in America from Weston-Super-Mare, England, in 1921
Dauncey migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Dauncey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Dauncey, English convict from Gloucester, who was transported aboard the "America" on April 4, 1829, settling in New South Wales, Australia 
Contemporary Notables of the name Dauncey (post 1700)
- Derek Stephen Dauncey (b. 1965), English rally car manager
- Brigadier Michael Donald Keen Dauncey DSO, DL (1920-2017), British Army Brigadier general
- Jaime Dauncey, Canadian professional wrestler
- John Gilbert Dauncey (b. 1936), Welsh cricketer
- Frederick Herbert "Bert" Dauncey (1871-1955), Welsh international rugby union player
You May Also Like
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ State Library of Queensland. (Retrieved 2014, November 26) America voyage to New South Wales, Australia in 1829 with 176 passengers. Retrieved from http://www.convictrecords.com.au/ships/america/1829