Culyer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Culyer is an Anglo-Saxon name. The name was originally given to a person who made or sold charcoal. The surname Culyer is derived from the Old English word col, which means coal; as such it is thought to have originally been an occupational name for a burner of charcoal or a gatherer or seller of coal. 
Early Origins of the Culyer family
The surname Culyer was first found in Lancashire where one of the first records of the name was Ranulf Colier listed there in 1150. A few years later, Bernard le Coliere was listed in the Pipe Rolls of Somerset in 1172.  The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 revealed: Henry le Colyer in Buckinghamshire; Robert le Coliere in Bedfordshire; and Thomas le Colier in Huntingdonshire. Over one hundred years later, the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls list: Adam Colier; and Benedictus Colier. 
Early History of the Culyer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Culyer research. Another 106 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1350, 1685, 1677, 1622, 1678, 1656, 1730, 1699, 1680, 1732, 1680, 1650, 1726, 1650, 1622, 1678, 1622, 1708 and 1786 are included under the topic Early Culyer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Culyer Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Culyer has appeared include Collier, Collyer, Colier, Colyer, Colyar, Colyear and many more.
Early Notables of the Culyer family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Sir Alexander Colyear (d. circa 1685), who was made the 1st Baronet Colyear of Holland in 1677; Giles Collier (1622-1678), an English divine; and David Colyear (c.1656-1730), who was created 1st Earl of Portmore in 1699.
Arthur Collier (1680-1732), was an English philosopher and "metaphysician, born 12 Oct. 1680 at Langford Magna, Wiltshire, a family living which had been held by his great-grandfather. His grandfather, Henry Collier, succeeded and was ejected under the Commonwealth. Two of Henry Collier's sons were transported to Jamaica for their share in Penruddocke's rising at Salisbury. " 
Migration of the Culyer family to Ireland
Some of the Culyer family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Migration of the Culyer family
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Culyer arrived in North America very early: William Collier who settled in Duxbury in 1633; Thomas Collier settled in Hingham Massachusetts in 1635; John Coller, who came to Maryland in 1653; Jeremiah Coller, who settled in Maryland in 1660.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Nemo sine cruce beatus
Motto Translation: No one is happy but by the cross.