Cullison History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the first family to use the name Cullison lived among the Pictish people of ancient Scotland. The name Cullison comes from son of Collie which is a diminutive of Nicholas.
Early Origins of the Cullison family
The surname Cullison was first found in Aberdeenshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland, where they held a family seat from very early times.
Important Dates for the Cullison family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cullison research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1449, 1531, 1584, 1596, and 1674 are included under the topic Early Cullison History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cullison Spelling Variations
In medieval Scotland, names were more often spelled according to sound than any regular set of rules. An enormous number of spelling variations were the result. Over the years, the name Cullison has been spelled Collison, Collisone, Colesoun, Colison, Colisone, Caullison, Cawlison, Cawllison, Colleson, Coleson, Collisoun, Collisson and many more.
Early Notables of the Cullison family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cullison Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cullison migration to the United States
In such difficult times, Ireland, Australia, and North America looked like better homes for many Scots. The trips were expensive and grueling, but also rewarding, as the colonies were havens for those unwelcome in the old country. That legacy did not die easily, though, and many were forced to fight for their freedom in the American War of Independence. The Scottish legacy has resurface in more recent times, though, through Clan societies, highland games, and other organizations. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the old Scottish name of Cullison:
Cullison Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Lulu Cullison, aged 23, who settled in America, in 1912
- J. W. Cullison, who immigrated to the United States, in 1923
- Zach W. Cullison, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Cullison (post 1700)
- Robert Virl Cullison (b. 1936), American politician from Turley, Oklahoma, President pro tempore of the Oklahoma Senate (1988-1995), Member of the Oklahoma Senate (1979-1995)
- Samuel W. Cullison, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Indiana 1st District, 1942 
- James Buchanan Cullison (b. 1857), American Republican politician, District Judge in Oklahoma 21st District, 1911-29; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Oklahoma, 1912 (alternate), 1932 
- Bonnie Cullison (b. 1954), American teacher, labor official and politician
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 26) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html