The ancestry of the name Croughs dates from the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture of Britain. It comes from when the family lived near a crossroads. The name is derived from the Old English word crouch,
Early Origins of the Croughs family
The surname Croughs was first found in Somerset
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times.
Early History of the Croughs family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Croughs research.Another 227 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1607, 1679, 1660 and 1679 are included under the topic Early Croughs History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Croughs Spelling Variations
in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Croughs have been found, including Crouch, Crooch, Croucher, Croutch, Crowch, Crowcher, Crouche and many more.
Early Notables of the Croughs family (pre 1700)
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Croughs Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Croughs family to the New World and Oceana
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England
. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England
, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Croughs, or a variant listed above: Richard, Nicholas, Richard, and Thomas Crouch who settled in Virginia in 1623; followed by Eliza in 1653; William Crouch settled in Charlestown in 1654.