on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Coy family come from? What is the English Coy family crest and coat of arms? When did the Coy family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Coy family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Coy comes from when the family resided in the region of Quy a chapelry in the parish of Stow.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Coy has been recorded under many different variations, including Coy, Coye and others.
First found in Cambridgeshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coy research. Another 282 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1675 is included under the topic Early Coy History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 23 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Coy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Coy or a variant listed above:
Coy Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Coy settled in Barbados in 1686
- Edward Coy who settled in New England in 1695
Coy Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Laurence Coy, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754
Coy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Coy, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Neil Coy, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- John Coy, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- Ygnacio DeLosSantos Coy, who landed in Texas in 1835
- Ignacio DeLosSantos Coy, who landed in Texas in 1835
Coy Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Amasa Coy U.E (b. 1757) born in Connecticut, USA who settled in Fredericton, New Brunswick c. 1783 he died in 1838
Coy Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Coy, aged 19, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "General Hewett"
- Patrick Coy, aged 17, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "General Hewett"
- Bob Coy, Senior Pastor of Calvary Chapel of Ft Lauderdale
- Edward Harris "Ted" Coy (1888-1935), American football player
- Walter Darwin Coy (1909-1974), American stage, radio, film, and, principally, television actor
- Chase Coy (b. 1990), American singer-songwriter
- Nathan Coy, American mixed martial artist
- John Richard Coy (b. 1958), American children's book author
- Wayne Coy (1903-1957), American served as Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission
- Steve Coy (b. 1962), English drummer
- Steve Coy (b. 1962), English singer-songwriter, percussionist and composer
- Bobby Coy (b. 1961), English former footballer
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Coy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Coy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 February 2015 at 13:15.
on orders of $85 or more