tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Coxwell family once lived in the parish of Coggleshall in the diocese of St. Albans, in the county of Essex.
from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coxwell research.Another 138 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1272, 1400, 1516, and 1633 are included under the topic Early Coxwell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations
were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Coxwell family name include Coxwell, Cogswell, Coggeshall, Coxville, Coxwells and many more.
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland
, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Coxwell surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Coxwell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Coxwell, who arrived in America in 1644
Coxwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- H.C. Coxwell, aged 16, who landed in America from England, in 1892
- Joseph E. C. Coxwell, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Liverpool, in 1897
Coxwell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louise Coxwell, aged 48, who landed in America, in 1910
- Margaret Coxwell, aged 16, who settled in America, in 1910
- Charles Fillingham Coxwell, aged 58, who emigrated to America from London, England, in 1915
- Rene Coxwell, aged 24, who landed in America from Southampton, England, in 1921
- Thomas Coxwell, aged 37, who emigrated to the United States, in 1922