100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Coxwell is a name whose history is connected to the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Coxwell family once lived in the parish of Coggleshall in the diocese of St. Albans, in the county of Essex.
The surname Coxwell was first found in Essex where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Coxwell family name include Coxwell, Cogswell, Coggeshall, Coxville, Coxwells and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coxwell research. Another 323 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1272, 1400, 1516, and 1633 are included under the topic Early Coxwell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Coxwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Coxwell surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Coxwell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Coxwell, who arrived in America in 1644
Coxwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- H.C. Coxwell, aged 16, who landed in America from England, in 1892
- Joseph E. C. Coxwell, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Liverpool, in 1897
Coxwell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louise Coxwell, aged 48, who landed in America, in 1910
- Margaret Coxwell, aged 16, who settled in America, in 1910
- Chas Fillingham Coxwell, aged 58, who emigrated to America from London, England, in 1915
- Rene Coxwell, aged 24, who landed in America from Southampton, England, in 1921
- Thos. Coxwell, aged 37, who emigrated to the United States, in 1922
- John Coxwell, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 1952
- J. M. Coxwell, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 1944
- Frances H. Coxwell, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 1944
- Henry Tracey Coxwell (1819-1900), English aeronaut who had a balloon factory in Richmond Road Seaford, Sussex
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
The Coxwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Coxwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 January 2016 at 09:28.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!