Coverdale History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Coverdale is part of the ancient legacy of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is a product of when the family lived in the village of Coverdale in Yorkshire.
Early Origins of the Coverdale family
The surname Coverdale was first found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat from the Middle Ages.
Important Dates for the Coverdale family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coverdale research. Another 57 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1245, 1297, 1379, 1625, 1809, 1488, 1568, 1535, 1551 and 1553 are included under the topic Early Coverdale History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Coverdale Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Coverdale has been spelled many different ways, including Coverdale, Coverdill, Coverdall, Couerdale and others.
Early Notables of the Coverdale family (pre 1700)
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Coverdale Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Coverdale migration to the United States
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Coverdales to arrive in North America:
Coverdale Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Coverdale who arrived in Maryland in 1669
- Thomas Coverdale, who arrived in Maryland in 1669 
- Hannah Coverdale, who landed in Maryland in 1670-1671 
Contemporary Notables of the name Coverdale (post 1700)
- George Coverdale, American politician, Mayor of Coffeyville, Kansas, 1910, 1917-18 
- William Coverdale (1862-1934), English first-class cricketer
- Stephen Peter Coverdale (b. 1954), retired English first-class cricketer
- Paul Coverdale (b. 1983), English cricketer
- Drew Coverdale (b. 1969), English former footballer who played from 1989 to 1993
- Robin "Bob" Coverdale (b. 1928), English professional Rugby League World Cup winning footballer
- Walter William "Bill" Coverdale (1912-1972), English cricketer who played for Northamptonshire from 1931 to 1932
- Ralph Coverdale (1918-1975), British management consultant, founder of The Coverdale Organisation
- Kevin Coverdale (1940-1997), Australian rules footballer
- Garrison Barkley Coverdale (1905-1988), US Army General, member of the Military Intelligence Hall of Fame
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, May 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html