Cover History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The origins of the Cover name lie with England's ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. It comes from when the family lived in the lush region of Cove, in Suffolk.
Early Origins of the Cover family
The surname Cover was first found in Suffolk, where they held a family seat from ancient times in the two hamlets of North and South Cove in Suffolk  which were held at the time of the taking of the Domesday Book in 1086 by Count Alan of Brettagny.  Conjecturally the name is descended from that source.
Much further to the north in Scotland, Cove is a village in the parish of Nigg in Aberdeenshire. 
Early History of the Cover family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cover research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1219, 1273, 1330, 1293, 1330, 1642 and 1793 are included under the topic Early Cover History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cover Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Cover were recorded, including Cove and others.
Early Notables of the Cover family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cover Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cover migration to the United States +
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Cover family emigrate to North America:
Cover Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- James Cover, who landed in Virginia in 1652 
- John Cover, who arrived in Virginia in 1665 
Cover Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Cover, who arrived in Virginia in 1714 
- Tetrick Cover, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1730 
Cover Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- G W Cover, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1856 
Contemporary Notables of the name Cover (post 1700) +
- Mrs. Giles Cover, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from North Carolina, 1924 
- Franklin Edward Cover (1928-2006), American actor most noted for starring on the sitcom The Jeffersons
- Jack Cover (1921-2009), American scientist, inventor of the Taser
- Mary Cover Jones (1896-1987), American psychologist, pioneer in the field of behavior therapy, who received the G. Stanley Hall Award from the APA in 1968
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, May 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html