Counsell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Counsell is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon origin and comes from the family once having lived in the southern English county of Berkshire.
Early Origins of the Counsell family
The surname Counsell was first found in Berkshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Counsell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Counsell research. Another 55 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1208, 1310, 1327, 1609 and 1742 are included under the topic Early Counsell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Counsell Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Counsell family name include Counsell, Councell, Cunseil, Counseil, Counsayl, Consayl and many more.
Early Notables of the Counsell family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Counsell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Counsell migration to the United States
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Counsell surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Typical Counsell Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Counsell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Counsell, who arrived in Kansas in 1886
- James Counsell, aged 54, who arrived in Kansas in 1886 
Contemporary Notables of the name Counsell (post 1700)
- Craig John Counsell (b. 1970), American Major League Baseball player
- Marilyn Trenholme Counsell (b. 1933), Canadian Politician, Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick (1997-2003), member of the Senate of Canada (2003)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)